Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    free soul Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Theft under 5000, Just north of Toronto
    I am going to be detailed as possible. I am 21 years old, male, and have been caught shoplifting in a grocery store in Vaughan, a city just north of Toronto. I was caught taking exactly 15 items totalling $69.30 of merchandise from this grocery store. As I was leaving the store, I was caught by store security. Eventually, they called police. The police officer charged me with 2 charges. 1) Theft under $5000 and 2)Possession of property obtained by crime. I don't have a criminal record. This is my first time being charged. The police officer told me he would make note to the judge to suggest a diversion program for me. I have already taken my fingerprints taken at a police station. I have already attended my first court appearance. I didn't hire a lawyer because I thought I was going to offerred diversion. However, I was not offered diversion by the Crown. I did receive a disclosure. On the disclosure, it says the Crown will proceed on the charges as laid (summarily) and will not consider diversion. The duty counsel lawyer adjoured my case 1 month later and told me I should hire a criminal lawyer. So after this first court appearnce, I hired a criminal lawyer. (cost me about $1500) The lawyer has adjoured my case until the first week of May to have a Crown pre-trial. Can a lawyer convince the Crown during the Crown pre-trial to change their mind and offer me diversion? If not, what could happen?
    I am seeking as much professional help I can get in this matter? Thanks to everyone who replies me.
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2009, 12:22 PM

Yes, your lawyer can try and convince the crown to change their mind but it is rare that this happens. I am however surprised if this is your first offence that you were not offered diversion. Anyway, if diversion is out of the question, the next best thing is a discharge which will mean no criminal record.
    free soul Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 03:23 PM
    How do you delete this post? I am done with this issue.
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Hi Freesoul, I don't know how to delete this post but it would be helpful to others in your situation if you would be willing to share your final outcome. Thanks
    tamilguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emery View Post
    Yes, your lawyer can try and convince the crown to change their mind but it is rare that this happens. I am however surprised if this is your first offence that you were not offered diversion. Anyway, if diversion is out of the question, the next best thing is a discharge which will mean no criminal record.
    Actually it's not rare. My criminal lawyer convinced the crown for diversion and was successful. The crown wanted to have conditional discharge (12 months) against me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000, first offender, 21 years old, Toronto, ON [ 16 Answers ]

Last week, I made a mistake to try and steal paint worth about $100 from home depot, I was caught and brought into the back. They called the cops, and they gave me a ticket and made me promise to visit the cop station on a date 4 weeks later for fingerprinting, and a court date 6 weeks later that...

Theft and possession under, toronto [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 19 and a canadian citizen A couple of day ago we stole a gps and police gave us theft under and possession under. I had prior encounters with cops, but never had a criminal record. If somebody could expain to me please, what are my options?

Theft Over $5000 - Toronto, [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend was working in a retail store for over a year. He was just fired last week after the Loss Prevention Department found out he had been conducting fraudulent returns since May several times per month. He would pretend that a customer is returning merchandise and take the cash for...

Vandalism : michief under 5000 in toronto [ 1 Answers ]

All right so recently me and a group of friends (in total we were 4) were arrested for mischief under $5000 under the toronto youth criminal justice act. They wrote us up already and were scheduled for processing and court in January. One of us was writing on public property , that's how we got...

Theft Under $5000, Toronto, ON, Age 21 [ 1 Answers ]

Just yesterday, I was charged with theft under $5000. The amount I stole totaled just under $49 I was in shoppers drug mart with the original itention to buy solution for my contacts. I came across some makeup, and for whatever reason, decided to take it. Usually, I would have no...

View more questions Search