Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    60199 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Theft Over $5000 - Toronto,
    Hello,
    My boyfriend was working in a retail store for over a year. He was just fired last week after the Loss Prevention Department found out he had been conducting fraudulent returns since May several times per month. He would pretend that a customer is returning merchandise and take the cash for himself (he was really just scanning items that were already in the store). Basically, I am guessing that the grand total is definitely over $10,000. When the Loss Prevention department came in to the store to terminate him, he admitted everything. Several days later, he was called into the Police Station and was arrested for Theft over $5000. He was kept in a holding cell/Interrogation room for several hours before being released after pleading guilty and getting a court date. He has to go back in a few weeks for finger prints, and his court date is in 2 months from now. He has to use legal aid due to lack of funds. He has no other criminal record... he is 21, and was in school before but not anymore, and does not have a criminal record. No other individuals were involved and I just found out after he was called into the police station. I have a few questions -

Ideally, what do you think he will be sentenced with? Is it safe to say that he will be hit hard but not actual jail time?

What are your thoughts about him using legal aid?

Now that he plead guilty, what is going to happen on his court date? Will it be the sentencing and will he have time to appeal if they do in fact sentence him to jail time?

Any answers to my questions/advice/comments/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am having a really hard time dealing with this and I just want some others opinions.

Thank-You
    60199 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 11:29 AM

PS - This was in Ontario
    AlpineAnnie Posts: 77, Reputation: 13

Apr 1, 2009, 02:31 PM

I am not up to snuff on Canadian law, but here's a few notes. If he pleads guilty - then there is no appeal. Legal Aid - if the same as a Public Defender here in the states - they are hard working attorneys with a ton of cases under their belts - with very little extra time but they generally work their tails off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000, first offender, 21 years old, Toronto, ON [ 16 Answers ]

Last week, I made a mistake to try and steal paint worth about $100 from home depot, I was caught and brought into the back. They called the cops, and they gave me a ticket and made me promise to visit the cop station on a date 4 weeks later for fingerprinting, and a court date 6 weeks later that...

Vandalism : michief under 5000 in toronto [ 1 Answers ]

All right so recently me and a group of friends (in total we were 4) were arrested for mischief under $5000 under the toronto youth criminal justice act. They wrote us up already and were scheduled for processing and court in January. One of us was writing on public property , that's how we got...

Theft Under $5000, Toronto, ON, Age 21 [ 1 Answers ]

Just yesterday, I was charged with theft under $5000. The amount I stole totaled just under $49 I was in shoppers drug mart with the original itention to buy solution for my contacts. I came across some makeup, and for whatever reason, decided to take it. Usually, I would have no...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

View more questions Search