Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honkesk Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Outlet covers on logs
    This one might be the easiest question yet, but it has me confused...
    I am putting on my bedroom wall in my cabin, fake log siding. What it is, is a 2"X6" rounded off, they sell them at Menards. How do I put the box in, so the outlet cover looks good. Is there anything on the market that will take care of this situation?
    If I plan right, I will have the box so it goes into just one piece, so I don't have to cut two pieces for the box, so it will go right in the middle of the round part of the log.
    Any help or direction sure would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ron
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 10:12 PM

Something to consider.

Turn outlets and switches horizontal, i.e. parallel to the “logs”.

Route a flat area in the center of the “log” at the desired location.

Flat should be ¼” longer than cover plate and deep enough to make the width ¼” wider than cover plate.

Carefully cut out opening in flat area to accept an “old work” box.

You will have to replace the screws for the clamping tabs, as the existing ones will not be long enough to reach through the estimated 1” thickness of the “log” in the flat area.

Install “old work” box.

Remove existing outlet box from wall, pull wires through “old work” box and install “log” on wall.
    Attached Images

stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 15, 2009, 04:12 AM
    HK, that is the exact answer I would have given.

Where did you get that graphic? It is great!
    honkesk Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2009, 08:29 PM

This site just blows me away! I can't believe that a guy can get such good advice, so easily. And I can't believe that I stay up most of the night reading about others questions and answers!? Thanks for the attachment, pictures does make it a lot easier for me.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2009, 08:47 PM

That looks like an HK original.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 17, 2009, 07:14 AM

When I saw this question I got a bit excited because I knew the answer and have done hundreds of these. I started putting together my pic only to find harold's post which is absolutely perfec. I have had homeowners ask me to make a box like hole with 1x2 trim around it and always talk them into what Hank shows in his pics. Glad you are back Hank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet covers for kitchen countertop [ 1 Answers ]

What type of electrical cover is used for kitchen countertops, similar to an island top? Has anyone heard of a tombstone electrical covers? Do these type of outlet covers meet code standards? How far apart should they be?

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Gas logs [ 1 Answers ]

Have two gas logs. Not used for several months. Will not light.

Gas Logs [ 2 Answers ]

The vent free gas log inserts I bought do not have a factory blower that goes with them. Is there a blower of fan that I can use with my logs/fireplace to push the heat out into the room better?

Malleable/Best-fitting Outlet Covers [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All! Would anyone be able to give me some tips/ideas/suggestions on some different types of outlet covers that work well with "rough pine log" surfaces. I have @ 20 different outlets/switches boxed within logs for a new log home and looking for some suggestions on some founded ways of dealing...

View more questions Search