Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saivstech Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2009, 04:52 AM
    Win XP Not Booting, but HD, CPU FAN, DVD-RW are running
    OS: Win XP Pro, SP3 recent fresh installation after having had probs with my earlier installation
    Motherboard: AMD Athlon 64 K8VM800M-R2
    RAM : 512MB (Hynix)
    Sony DVD Writer : DVD RW DW-Q28A

This system was with me for quite a while, to be precisely... since 2006 onwards.

I've recently had a few problems with my computer, but the latest has me puzzled.

When I hit the power button in the morning or anytime, the CD drives power up, the fans start, and the hard drive light comes on and stays on. There's no beep. The monitor power light blinks, indicating that no signal is going to the monitor. Nothing else happens.

For the first couple of days, hitting the reset switch made the computer restart normally. Once started, it runs perfectly all day.

It seems to be getting worse, because for the last few days I've had to hit reset more than once before the computer restarts. Sometimes I need to switch the power off at the wall, power up and hit reset.

Not only this, when I shutdown the computer and later try to start, the above factors seem to be prevailing here too.

Does this sound familiar enough for anyone to narrow down the cause? I'm assuming motherboard, RAM or graphics card, but I don't have access to replacements to test by substitution.

Also, my DVD Writer is not reading any CD's other than DVD's. I'm able to read/write/burn anything to do with DVD's, but unable to do the same with regular CD's.

I also vaccumed, & cleaned up the motherboard,RAM,Processor and dusted everything. Even then also the same thing is continuing, I'm getting fed up with this. All the problems mentioned were existing even before I vaccumed/cleaned the PC.

Recently, I noticed that the system needs the LAN/NIC Card to be up before power supply to the system comes, what I mean is, I'm connected to a Motorola Vonage Router VT2442 from my PC. In the Router the LAN/Ethernet Port lights up orange when I turn on the PC power that too after a while, and then it turns green after sometime and stays put green. So now in the process or timelag between Orange and Green light when I try to power the PC by pressing the Start button on the CPU, it doenst boot up. So I basically had to wait until the green light on the Router comes and then the system boots up.

I have frequent power cuts, so I might attribute the above reasons to it, but I don't know specifically to what? So can anyone guide/help me in resolving this consistent problem.
    b_harish123 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2009, 11:50 PM

After reading your issue completely we cannot come to a conclusion which part is not letting the computer to boot up.We need to perform some trouble shooting steps to resolve the issue.
    So to get the issue resolved could you please let me know when was the computer worked fine??

Did you add any new hardware or software to the system??

Are you able to login to the safeboot screen??

Did you try to perform the Last known good configuration??

Do you get any error message or its just a blank screen??

If you haven't tried these steps please try them and if you already know about these then I'm sorry for telling again

After these steps we need to open the system and remove all the components except the part which are basic to boot the computer
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 25, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by b_harish123 View Post
    After reading your issue completely we cannot come to a conclusion which part is not letting the computer to boot up.We need to perform some trouble shooting steps to resolve the issue.
    So to get the issue resolved could you please let me know when was the computer worked fine????

Did you add any new hardware or software to the system?????.

Are you able to login to the safeboot screen????

Did you try to perform the Last known good configuration?????

do you get any error message or its just a blank screen??????

If you havent tried these steps please try them and if you already know about these then im sorry for telling again

After these steps we need to open the system and remove all the components except the part which are basic to boot the computer

The issue is related to heat and the CPU overheating. If you have the ability to get one, invest in a bios post code card and insert into an opc PCI slot and then start up the computer. The display will hang on a code, reference the code and most likely it's going to point to the CPU. Take the heatsink and fan off the motherboard and inspect the thermal paste on top of the CPU, if it's dried out and crusty, that supports the overheating of the CPU. Assuming nothing else has changed in the way of hardware, I'd put my money on the CPU failing.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

Mar 28, 2009, 09:13 PM

I am betting that it is mosty likely a bios problem try flashing it from a updated version from the manufacture's website

Mar 28, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosmaster1 View Post
    i am betting that it is mosty likely a bios problem try flashing it from a updated version from the manufacture's website
    Flashing the bios will not help if the computer can't even load the bios, which is why I referenced a BIOS post card so that the code can be deciphered down to the source of the problem.

Mar 29, 2009, 06:55 AM

Fter rerereading your post I would try a powersupply you might have a faulty one or a heaily overdrawn circuit in your house
    mdfmvmif Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Is very easy. Motherboard/CPU

Why? Because if it was memory you'd hear beeps. You can look online as to the amount of beeps (errors) to find out what the problem is.

The best way for you to fix this at this moment is to plug the keyboard
    Remove the video card (just in case), remove one of the memory sticks (jsut in case)
    Turn the computer on. If you press the "caps lock" and the light of the keyboard doesn't turn on then is not working yet.
    My best bet is the motherboard. What you can do is go online and obtain a new motherboard.
    If you are not too technical is best to simply take it to a local computer shop and have them replace it. It usually costs $60 to $75 per hour and to replace the motherboard should be about an hour. Tell them not to worry about the operating system (you can repair it and save 2 hours worth)
    Good luck I hope this helps.
    BTW if the local tech guy finds it to be the CPU, you can call the manufacturer as there is warranty.

Call the manufacturer to call for an RMA to replace the bad part. You can simply call and ask. Find the SN.

Mar 29, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saivstech View Post
    OS: Win XP Pro, SP3 recent fresh installation after having had probs with my earlier installation
    Motherboard: AMD Athlon 64 K8VM800M-R2
    RAM : 512MB (Hynix)
    Sony DVD Writer : DVD RW DW-Q28A

Recently, I noticed that the system needs the LAN/NIC Card to be up before power supply to the system comes, what I mean is, i'm connected to a Motorola Vonage Router VT2442 from my PC. In the Router the LAN/Ethernet Port lights up orange when I turn on the PC power that too after a while, and then it turns green after sometime and stays put green. So now in the process or timelag between Orange and Green light when I try to power the PC by pressing the Start button on the CPU, it doenst boot up. So I basically had to wait until the green light on the Router comes and then the system boots up.

I have frequent power cuts, so I might attribute the above reasons to it, but I dont know specifically to what? So can anyone guide/help me in resolving this consistent problem.
    This is a direct indication that the board is not fried and that it is most likely either a bad PSU (however the fact that the LAN card is showing good light activity would negate this) or that it is a CPU related issue.

Mar 29, 2009, 10:03 PM

Test the computer with another known working powersupply and see if it works

Mar 29, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Firstly, let me apologise for replying late as my broadband connection went kaput and it took 5 days for it to be attended. Hence the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by b_harish123 View Post
    So to get the issue resolved could you please let me know when was the computer worked fine????

Did you add any new hardware or software to the system?????.
    No I didnt add any new hardware/sw.

Are you able to login to the safeboot screen????
    Yes I am able to login to safe mode. If f8 is what u meant and then login to the safe mode.

Did you try to perform the Last known good configuration?????
    Sorry, No. as I did a fresh installation of OS.

do you get any error message or its just a blank screen??????
    No error msgs as of now. or do u have nethign specific in mind to look for error msgs??? such as eventvwr???

If you havent tried these steps please try them and if you already know about these then im sorry for telling again
    No issues. ur trying to help me. :)

Sure thing go ahead... we can try if needed.

Mar 30, 2009, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Helljack6 View Post
    The issue is related to heat and the CPU overheating. If you have the ability to get one, invest in a bios post code card and insert into an opc PCI slot and then start up the computer. The display will hang on a code, reference the code and most likely it's going to point to the CPU. Take the heatsink and fan off the motherboard and inspect the thermal paste on top of the CPU, if it's dried out and crusty, that supports the overheating of the CPU. Assuming nothing else has changed in the way of hardware, i'd put my money on the CPU failing.
    Sorry for the delay in replying as my broadband connection went kaput for 5 days or so and I got connected a while ago.

In a way your right as to the CPU overheating. Even I felt the same, reason being, I live in Hyderabad, India and most part of the time the weather is hot. Added to that my PC is not living in a cold room... tsk tsk.. the room temp is around 32-33 deg C and may go up in summers... now that its summer. Normally I leave it running most of the time and this might be one of the causes as I don't believe in turning off and on as and when required. Been living with this system for over 3 yrs. No issues until recently.

In fact I did a survey of the mobo, and tried to see for any leakages from transistors or anything of that sort as suggested in some of the forums and internet searches. But nothing was visible or obvious, so I attributed this to heatsink. I opened and saw the heatsink too but its dry and normal... and no melting or anything for that matter, if my memory goes correct as I really didn't pay attention to its physical nature at that point. This was about a week ago... maybe I'll retry to see if the thermal paste is driedout/crusty... today and will update.

How much would the POST code card cost approx?? I also noticed that once I power button, it would continue with the same complaints. After leaving it on like for about 7-8 minutes then I need to hit the reset/powerbutton then it starts back with the normal POST and beep. Not that its going to add any significance to the already posted issue... just realised that the time for resetting/starting powerbutton time delay has increased.

Another feeling is that this can be attributed to SMPS too... just a glitch. Don't know for sure, though.

Mar 30, 2009, 12:03 AM

I would try a powersupply first from another computer

Mar 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
    fter rerereading your post i would try a powersupply you might have a faulty one or a heaily overdrawn circuit in your house
    Most likely the cause can be attributed to SMPS... but I don't have a spare one to try... so I'll try to find out if anyone in my circle has a spare one... if not then I'll have to take it to a hardware repair shop and try... thanks for the tip. Will definitely keep u posted with the latest soon.

Mar 30, 2009, 12:08 AM

If u have the time and patienence I'd try taking out all the parts except for the cpu and ram and start trying to turn it on and add each piece back in until you find a faulty piece or they all go back in or even test all the removed pieces on another computer good luck

Mar 30, 2009, 12:08 AM
    test the computer with another known working powersupply and see if it works
    That's what I had in mind... but I don't have a spare one... will try to borrow from friends if anyone has a spare... then will post the updates. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 14, 2009, 03:16 AM
    Hello all,

Thanks for all your inputs in bailing me out of the problems I'd been facing.

Anyway I changed the SMPS and it resolved the issue on hand, and I want to thank one and all for the inputs given to me in troubleshooting.

Thaanks once again.

Cheers,

Sai

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Booting my PC [ 2 Answers ]

Every time I turn on my Dell PC desktop, it won’t boot window xp directly. It tells me no bootable disk found. Press F1 to continue. So I have to press F1 to start my PC. How can fix this and my PC can boot direct to window xp?

USB Booting? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to be able to boot from a USB drive and my bios doesn't support booting from USB devices, so I was wondering if a dos based boot cd(cause my machine doesn't have a floppy drive) to re-route the boot from the USB device, and if so... can somebody show me how to create one. I already know how...

Need Help. Booting [ 1 Answers ]

My computer was working perfectly yesterday. This morning I started it up, normally as I always do, then the following problem occurred. "Operative system failed." Any idea why THAT could happen?

Pop ups after booting-up [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 boxes that appear when I bootup. The one that troubles me most is :- error loading c:\programfiles\wild tangent\apps\CDA\cda engine 0400.dll My PC is running okay. How can I stop these boxes appearing?

View more questions Search