Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Copper vs PEX for a new (long run) baseboard zone
    I have a 2900 sq ft house in Central NJ that is heated by a hybrid (mixed) steam / hydronic baseboard system (house came this way!).

I have a largish enclosed unheated front porch (38x 10) with four six ft wide x 4 ft high thermopane windows on the north facing side and an 8 ft x 4 ft thermopane window on the east facing side. It is over a crawl space.

I am contemplating installing 3 six ft lenghts of high output slantfin baseboard on the north wall. For a variety of reasons, its not possible to put a baseboard under one of the end front windows or on the east window.

I am planning to use the existing circulator pump and install two zone control valves with the porch as its own zone. I only need to get the temp in the porch up to about 50/55 degrees.

All this is probably too much info for the basic question...
    Should I use 3/4 copper or 3/4 PEX for the lines? It's a longish run ( 37 feet as the crow flys) from the porch outer wall to the furnace... and its NOT a straight shot.

I'm handier than the average home owner and have installed/repaired hydronic systems myself several times successfully.

While I have all the tools I need for copper, I don't have any for PEX. I'm considering using short copper risers to the baseboard and transition to PEX in the crawl space if I use PEX... othewise harddrawn copper and elbows all the way if copper.

The crawl space in spots has less than 2 ft head room and the house is over 80 yrs old with remnants of the old asbetos steam pipe insulation around. I don't want to spend the whole day in the crawl space.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
    I like copper but the correct style PEX would also work. I suggest you read up on PEX before you make a purchase since there are many different types/styles/and requirements.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 3, 2009, 10:31 AM
    So your ultimate question is whether you should use copper or PEX? Some people (usually plumbers) will swear by PEX, but I don't see too many differences in either to make one better than the other. They both have good and bad qualities that, in my opinion offset. I haven't ran PEX myself but I have worked on job sites where a plumber was installing it. Some love it for ease of install. In my opinion copper has 'soul' ;)
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jan 5, 2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks for your answers. I looked at the current price for the approx 120 ft of copper I'll need to buy and that pretty much made the decision for me.

The only issues now are:
    1) crimp on (needs tool) vs one of the other connectors... e.g. "Watts"
    2) Apparently for the same flow, I'll need 1" PEX to be equal to 3/4 copper?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to cap a copper water line: compression fitting or copper cap? [ 29 Answers ]

Hi all, Unsuccessfully tried to cap a copper water line by soldering a pre-soldered cap onto the end. Took all the proper steps, cleaned the ends of the pipe and fitting first, then applied flux around both. Wasn't quite sure what I should be heating, so I just heated everything. After my first...

NO Heat in One Zone of Multiple Zone System [ 6 Answers ]

The heat in our four zone house is working except for one zone. Digital Honeywell THermostat lights up when programmed, little flame picture appears and click noise is heard, just like other thermostats, but no heat in that zone. Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix. Thanks

Zone heating. One zone won't turn furnace on. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, I am using two Honeywell V8043E1012 motorized valves. One zone works but the other one you hear the thermostat click on when you raise the temp but the furnace does not come on. When I use the lower floor thermostat the furnace turns and I get heat upstairs. Is this the problem of the...

Changed out radiator w/copper supply baseboard w/ pex supply [ 2 Answers ]

And there is no heat in eminating from this baseboard. This was done in one room only and off the original radiator line.the system is all hotwater radiator w/the exception of this one room. We did not change the original heating supply line to this but added valves and then the pex. Seems the hot...

2 zone oil heat, 2nd zone runs 1st zone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 2 zone oil burner. The 1st zone (upstairs) runs separately and works no problem. The 2nd zone(basment), when we try to run 2nd zone separately , it seems to run zone 1(upstairs) and the baseboard heating upstairs gets hot and heats zone 1 even thought we have the t-stat set low...

View more questions Search