Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaftab52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Process Piping
    What is the diffrence between tube & pipe?
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 3, 2008, 09:54 AM

A pipe is a vessel - a tube is structural.

A pipe is measured ID - a tube is measured OD.

How they are measured... Pipes are measured ID or inside diameter because they are vessels. Tubes are measured OD or outside diameter because they are structural.

Hope this helps.

Aaron
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 12:31 PM

I don't buy the above answer at all.

Tubing is usually measured in NOMINAL ID UNLESS it's refrigeration tubing, then by actual OD. Example: The 1/2" copper tubing used for water is 5/8 OD. The type like K or L determines the wall thickness. Many people like to call this pipe, but it's really tubing.

Pipe is measured in NOMINAL OD. The schedule dtermines the wall thickness. This allows the same dies to be used for both say 2" schedule 40 and schedule 80 pipe.

See: Dimensions of Pipes and Tubes

Go to a hardware store and ask for a 3/4 copper sweat elbow and go into a refrigeration supply house and ask for a 7/8" elbow. You'll get the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ABS vs PVC piping [ 4 Answers ]

Nb this sight has advised me not to use capital letters. Due to re-shingling I have had to take down my solar panels for heating the swimming pool along with all of the 1 1/2" dia. Piping, which is pvc. As it is over 20 years old and has been subject to ultraviolet rays I intend to replace it...

PVC piping [ 6 Answers ]

Can you run Hot H2O in PVC pipe.I ran my water lines and I seem to have gotten something crossed in the kitchen.Dont know how but Have hot H2O coming from PVC and cold coming from CPVC? I can't get to where it ties in at because it is at the eave end of the house.:confused:

Pvc piping [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to fix my daughters beach wheelchair and it is made of pvc piping. One piece of the piping cracked. I brought the piece to Lowe's and they said it was structural grade pvc and they didn't carry it. It is color coded inside. Can anyone tell me what they know about this and where...

Piping [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to get the diagram and parts required for a deepwell water system with a pressurized tank. What do I need to get started?

Lead piping [ 6 Answers ]

I think I have lead piping in my bathroom. Wanted to know if I could used a compression fitting to do a lead to copper joint. And does anyone know if I could use normal copmression fittings on the lead pipe because I want to add a valve.

View more questions Search