Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esposti33 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 01:05 AM
    PATA and SATA hard drive on the same computer
    I installed a PATA and SATA hard drive on my computer but XP Pro only reconizes the PATA. The PATA is my primary master and SATA should be slave but it doesn't show on XP Pro. The bios shows it's there but as third master (my two DVD's are Second master and slave). I would like two make the SATA a primary slave.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esposti33 View Post
    The PATA is my primary master and SATA should be slave but it doesn't show on XP Pro. The bios shows its there but as third master.
    SATA drives are arranged one device per cable. There is no concept of slave. The PATA/SATA controller boot order can usually be adjusted in the BIOS. Since the drive is seen by the BIOS but not Windows, first check that the drivers for your SATA motherboard/add-in controller are installed and that the drive has been properly partitioned and given a drive letter in Disk Management.
    esposti33 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    SATA drives are arranged one device per cable. There is no concept of slave. The PATA/SATA controller boot order can usually be adjusted in the BIOS. Since the drive is seen by the BIOS but not Windows, first check that the drivers for your SATA motherboard/add-in controller are installed and that the drive has been properly partitioned and given a drive letter in Disk Management.

Thank you that is exactly what the problem is. But now I'm having a hard time finding those drivers.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by esposti33 View Post
    Thank you that is exactly what the problem is. But now I'm having a hard time finding those drivers.
    What's your motherboard brand and model? For onboard controllers, the driver is usually included in the chipset driver package for the motherboard or as a second driver in addition to the chipset driver. For discrete controllers cards, the controller manufacturer would provide the driver.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recording from VCR to computer hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I know about recording from a camera to computer hard drive but what about from a VCR with a VHS tape? Obviously it needs a special cable of some kind. Does anyone know how this is done and would I need something else than a cable. Is there such a thing as phone cable with a USB on the other end?...

Hard Drive and My Computer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all my Intellectual Brothers and Sisters, I have been having problem with 1 of my external drives. I use 2 external hard drives on a desktop PC. Both were working properly and set autoplay. But yesterday, as I was playing a video file from the current faulty hard drive, the USB cable...

Install Xp on a 2nd Hard drive for another computer! [ 3 Answers ]

Well basical I brought this laptop for cheap which works but has no key board and the screen is cracked. (a bad combination I have just found out.) Well the guy that sold it to wiped the hard drive before he gave it to me and now I can't insatll xp on it firstly because I can't use my usb...

Can't get hard drive out of computer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to get a hard drive out of an old Dell Dimension XPS T600r. It's mounted vertical up along the front of the box... not attached by side screws. How do I get this thing out? Thanks!

Connect 2nd Hard Drive, from other Computer [ 3 Answers ]

I have Dell Dim2100 'XP' with Western Digital Hard Drive + 384Mb RAM. I have a Maxtor 19Gb Hard Drive from my earlier '98SE' which I want to use as Back-up/Storage, preferably internally but can't get it to locate as a secodary Drive using the IDE connection cable - is the solution an IDE/USB 2.0...

View more questions Search