Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bunkered Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Connect 2nd Hard Drive, from other Computer
    I have Dell Dim2100 'XP' with Western Digital Hard Drive + 384Mb RAM. I have a Maxtor 19Gb Hard Drive from my earlier '98SE' which I want to use as Back-up/Storage, preferably internally but can't get it to locate as a secodary Drive using the IDE connection cable - is the solution an IDE/USB 2.0 adapter (if available)... :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Did you set the jumpers correctly?
    hotwaterwoes Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2007, 09:54 PM
    For a basic example of jumpers, try a Google image search for hard drive jumpers. The settings are different for different models and brands. You'll need to know the model for your drive.

The model number for the drive should be printed on top of it. Also, you can usually get the model number of the drive from within device manager once it's installed. Once you know the model number, you can go to Maxtor's website to find out the jumper settings by selecting your model from their product index. The jumper settings are frequently printed on the drive as well. I bet you can do something very similar for the Western Digital drive at WD's website. You'll probably want to set the WD as master, and the Maxtor as slave on the primary IDE channel. If you have any optical drives (CDRW, CD-ROM, DVD, etc.), you should probably put those on the secondary IDE channel. Some systems, like OEM systems from Dell/HP/Emachines/etc may need to have the drives set to cable select instead of master/slave. I'd try master/slave first and if that doesn't work, then try CS.

You mentioned an IDE/USB converter. There are external enclosures that you can mount an IDE drive into and then connect it to a PC via USB. That's all that most of the large external hard drives are that you see in stores. If you were to open one, you'd find a standard 3.5" IDE hard drive inside most of the time. The enclosures range in price from around $10 to whatever you want to pay. Here's some at Newegg.com.
    DonJohnson515 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Hi, My name is Don.

I have a relatively old system: Compaq Deskpro, Pent III, 550MHz, 196 SDRAM, WinME...
    I can't see the 2nd drive (but Bios does), I have sacrificed the CD-Rom for another disk drive. The boot HD is on its' own IDE cord and I've just plugged the cord that was connected to the CD into the 2nd HD. Windows updated the info but WinME does not show it on "My Computer"..? What needs to happen? Thanks for the input! Deejay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Adding 2nd Hard Drive [ 4 Answers ]

HP Pavilion - on connecting 2nd HD into PC and starting up - Refuses to boot up. The sequence gets as far as flashing the light on the DVD but goes no further (normally flashes floppy after DVD then continues the boot up). Have set jumpers at CS as recommended - tried Master and Slave settings...

2nd hard drive... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there guys... I have 2 hard drives, I'm in the net so I know my PC can never be safe, I want to know how can I secure my 2nd drive from spy and viruses, so that if ever a virus gets in they only infect my primary drive... is there any free software for this, I want to prevent virus from...

Installing window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I Install window's onto 2nd hard drive from a computer already running window's? I fixing a computer for a friend and I need to reinstall windows onto his hard drive but that's all I have is the hard drive... I have 2 computers one running xp and one running me what would be the...

Cannot access my 2nd hard drive! [ 1 Answers ]

I was online when my computer froze up and I had to shut it down. Ever since I cannot access my additional hard drive. It appears in "My Computer" but when I try to open it I get the following error: "D:\ is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning." Under the...

View more questions Search