Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elaine48 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 12:57 PM
    NY: suspect landlord has spent deposit
    We rented a private home in New York state for six months and paid a $5,000 deposit. Our landlord is in financial difficulties (we get collection agency calls for him often and we understand he is trying to sell the house). We suspect that he has spent our deposit.

We considered this landlord a friend, so unfortunately did not protect ourselves with the usual photos, etc. on moving out. We did a walk-through with him in which we pointed out some items that we offered to take care off (marks on curtains, broken glassware, etc.). At that time, he said he was satisfied with the state of the house, and we left on very good terms. We also owe for heating oil, as the landlord said he would prefer to measure the tank when we left and take any oil used out of the deposit. We want to do the right thing and pay for the items that are our responsibility

After moving out in June, we made several email inquiries about settling up our deposit, with only one response that there were further damages that he was getting estimates for. Finally, (mid November) we received a list of damages, unitemized, with a total number that is higher than our deposit. The list is outrageous, and we plan to dispute it. We believe that the landlord has spent our money and looking for ways to make us go away.

We plan to ask for an itemized list with estimates and/or receipts and photos within one week and then address each item, going to small claims court if we can’t come to an agreement. But we have a few questions.

Can we ask the landlord to prove he still has our money? (If he doesn’t, surely it’s a sign of bad faith). “New York Landlords, regardless of the number of units in the building, must treat the deposits as trust funds belonging to their tenants and they may not co-mingle deposits with their own money. … Each tenant in New York must be informed in writing of the bank's name and address and the amount of the deposit.”

We understand that in NY,” the landlord must return the security deposit, less any lawful deduction, to the tenant at the end of the lease or within a reasonable time thereafter.” Given that we still do not have an itemized list of repairs almost six months later, can we argue the landlord has forfeited any right to withhold any portion of the deposit? We actually don’t want to do this, as we do feel some of the items are fair, but it might help the negotiations.

$5,000 is a lot of money and we are very distressed that our trust has been so misplaced. Any further advice is much appreciated!
    bobloblaw Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Nov 12, 2008, 01:07 PM

You are right, and the landlord is required to provide a statement with your funds in a bank account. You are also entitled to interest on those funds. He's also required to provide an itemized expense list of the items he's billing you for. It's a shame you didn't take pic on the way out, but if you go to court, the landlord must provide written estimate for the repair work, and pictures of the damages to prove his point too.

I would immediately file a claim in small claims court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Landlord spent my deposit [ 23 Answers ]

We rented a home. Recently we got wind the house was in foreclosure. Then in talking to the landlord he told us that he didn't have our $10,000 security deposit that he had in fact spent it. My fear is that if he is foreclosed on I can sue him for the deposit but if he is bankrupted I have no...

Landlord wants to keep deposit [ 8 Answers ]

A tenant of mine signed a years lease. I jumped through hoops to make this fussy tenant happy. Two months into the lease, she tells me she needs surgery and can't afford the apartment. ( I think she is being dishonest) (her job has health benefits and she has sick days) I have her deposit of less...

Landlord kept Deposit! [ 9 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently rented an apt. Her security deposit was $400. She took over a lease for a lady so she resigned a lease. The guy that owned the apartment lived 2 hours away, so he never came to the apartment... it was all done through mail. Halfway through the lease, she wanted out and...

Landlord Kept My $600 deposit & You won't believe what for! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Bridget and myself along with my 4 children ages 18, 15, 14 and 3 rented a house for 1 year. My deposit was $600 and upon moving out, they charged me for lawn cutting, scrubbing the floors and other simple cleaning and extermination. It mentioned that the extermination was my...

Landlord deposit return [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, when I moved into my current apartment eight years ago I gave the landlord a check for first month and security deposit. I live in Massachusetts, I have researched the law about what the landlord is supposed to do with my security deposit which is to put it in a bank account and it will...

View more questions Search