Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    triptrop Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Floor flange below the floor
    I'm finishing my basement. In the bathroom, the builder put in the floor flange flush with the cement floor. I believe it's glued to the pipe coming from below, because it wouldn't budge for me at all, and I didn't want to break it.

So, I installed the floor last week, which included in-floor heat (the electric kind - WarmTiles) followed by the tiles. This raised the level of the floor about an inch. So now the floor flange is about an inch below the actual floor. See the pictures.

What can I do about this? How do I get the floor flange (or another one using some adapter?) on the actual floor? Do they make some adapter for this? Any ideas about the best way to approach this?

Thank you!

Attached Images

triptrop Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
    From browsing the related posts I found that an extender flange might do the trick..
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 12, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Hi Triptrop:

Yup! An extender flange KIT should do the trick here. Try to find the extension flanges with the foam liners as in my picture below (don't need to caulk these in and wait for them to dry... ;).

Otherwise, you will find extension flanges that require you to use caulking in between the flanges... then you need to let the caulking dry... then you can install the toilet.

So best choice, fastest installation is with the extension flanges below! You will also need longer johnni bolts which usually come with an extra thick wax ring. You could use the ring here, but better overall job will be with the extension flanges, a regular gasket and longer johhni bolts!

Clean your flange off and knock out the knock out plug in your flange to start.

Then install the thickest extension flanges to your flange until they sit flush or just above the tile floor.

Then screw these down to the floor (through your flange so will need long rustproof screws).

Be sure to align the bolt slots in the flanges so bolts will be centered on the flange!

Should be all set from there.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing floor flange on slab floor [ 6 Answers ]

The plastic floor flange is broken and it appears to be poured into the slab. How can I remove it? Can I just ge a new flange that would fit inside the pipe and install it right over top?

Floor Flange removal [ 5 Answers ]

I'm stalling a new tile floor and will be removing the existing sheet floor that runs under the present floor flange. The floor drain is a 4" pvc. Since a sub floor will be installed and since the sheet material is under the old flange, I thought I needed to remove the existing flange. In doing so...

Commode floor flange [ 2 Answers ]

R & R commodes several times and already know all the tricks and pitfalls, but today I hit a new one. When I took up the commode to see why it rocks, the floor flange came too!! The floor is concrete, the closet bend seems to have a flair on the end, and the brass (?) flange is warped. I have no...

Closet flange below floor [ 1 Answers ]

First of all, great forum! I am installing a new toilet, but the floor has been built up over the years- two different times with 3/4 inch plywood panels. The original flange was never raised when this was done. I stand about 6'4" tall and my aim has gotten pretty good over the years, but as I age,...

Uneven flange below floor [ 2 Answers ]

When I am facing the wall with the fresh water supply line - here is the situation in the house I just moved into. The back tip of the toilet flange is level with the floor and the other half is about 1 and 1/2 inches below the floor level. The flange is 3inch PVC. One side of the flange is...

View more questions Search