Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wickedbob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Replacing condenser on a Trane XB1000
    EDIT: I was told that my compressor is bad, not my condenser. My apologies.

Just bought a house and had the HVAC guy out to inspect the units. Both are XB1000's. He said that one of the units has a bad compressor (not functioning at all) and that it would be a waste of time and money to replace the compressor and that I should just replace the whole unit. I'm pretty handy and will attempt to fix just about anything. So my question is this... if the unit has a bad compressor where does one buy a new compressor, what do they run, is this something that a fairly handy guy can fix and is it worth the time and effort? I'm a cheap SOB and not really interested in spending thousands of dollars unless it's absolutely necessary. Would it be worth while to get a second opinion?

Thanks in advance.

- Doc
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
    You need to be EPA certified to do the refrigerant aspect of this job. Hire it out it will be over your head. It takes a professional to do a compressor change. Way too much involved.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Getting a second opinion is always smart,, its according to how old the unit is and the overall condition of the condenser unit ,as to decision on if just a new compressor is best option,, as to you doing the work,, its doubtful unless you are /have done it before with training,would be a shame to ruin a 300 dollar compressor because it was installed wrong,, then after that you would need a epa approved tech to come in and finish the job if you not licenced to handle freon
    wickedbob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Thanks guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Control Board on Trane Unit [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Does anybody have any experience replacing the control board (CNT 03798) on a trane unit? I had an HVAC guy check out the unit, and he told me that was the part that needed replacing. I'd like to do it myself to save several $100.00 on the job, but I've never done it before. It...

Condenser continuous run [ 1 Answers ]

I have a borg warner furnace / AC unit. The unit cycles properly while in heat mode. However. In a/c the unit blows cold but the condenser will not shut off. Any cycle control in the condenser unit it's self?

Condenser wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am installing wiring for a new central air condenser that is being installed next week, and I wanted to make sure I was not missing anything. The HVAC installer told me that I needed #8 and 40 amps. I have a flexible whip to go from the disconnect to the condenser and have run (2) #8 wires...

Replacing Trane Baystat240 with Honeywell RTH3100c [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently acquired a residence that had a much older HA/C unit. The thermostat is a TRANE Baystat240 (3AAT80B1A1). Up till now it worked well. Recently both the heat and air were blowing at the same time. Go figure! LOL. I have recently attempted to replace the thermostat with a Honeywell...

Quote on 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 and var spd Trane Blower [ 2 Answers ]

I was just quoted on a 2nd floor A/C replacement, condenser and var speed blower, 2 1/2 ton Trane XR13 with upgrade options. Live in CT Are these prices sane ? Includes removal of old unit, upgrade of refrig line, added insulation on old ductwork - work to be done in walkup attic Quote...

View more questions Search