Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3littlepigs Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Well pump or tank
    I am having problem with my pump or pressure tank.
    I can use water by pressure tank but not other side of yard. No sound no water…nothing.
    My tanks pressure switch is on all the time, pump is working? Or sound working (mortar is running-sound like). When I use water by the tank, water pressure goes on and off with air gap inside of the water. I changed pressure switch but still does crazy water.
    I am getting crazy. :mad: :mad: Pump need to replace it or pressure tank need to replace it…. Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Wow. That is some description. Let's see if we can figure out your problem.

1. When you say switch is on all the time, do you mean the points inside the switch are closed? If so, then the pump is running 24/7. Is that the case?

2. If you have water by the tank but not on the other side of the yard, it sounds like a clogged pipe rather than pressure problems.

3. What pressure do you have at the pressure tank?

4. "Water pressure goes on and off with air gap inside of water" Do you mean the pressure goes up and down and you get bursts of air in the water?

Get back with more info.

May 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
    First, thank you soooooo much for your respond. I was ready to blow up pump and tank.

1. When you say switch is on all the time, do you mean the points inside the switch are closed? If so, then the pump is running 24/7. Is that the case?
    ** Yes, the pressure switch is on and I am not sure pumping the water or not, but I can hear motor running.

2. If you have water by the tank but not on the other side of the yard, it sounds like a clogged pipe rather than pressure problems.
    **If this is the case, how can I check it ?

3. What pressure do you have at the pressure tank?
    ** goes up to 32 or so and stop.

4. "Water pressure goes on and off with air gap inside of water" Do you mean the pressure goes up and down and you get bursts of air in the water?
    ** Yes, on and off. Off mean, nothing came out (no water) for few second and water and bursts of air returns.

Thank you for the help!
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Is this pump above ground or submerged (inside the well)? I suspect it's above ground. It that's the case, does it have two pipes going into the well or just one?

BTW, I would turn off the pump when it's not in use for the present time. A pump running 24/7 is not good.

It definitely sounds like you are not ever pumping up to cut off pressure. If 32# pounds is as high as it goes, and your pressure gauge is accurate, then you would seem to be pumping air for some reason. Either that, or your pump is going out OR there is a leak somewhere between the pressure tank and the house (not likely, since you would almost certainly notice that).

Don't worry about the faucet problem for now. One step at a time.

May 29, 2008, 07:09 PM
    This pump for above ground.
    I have access to irrigation water, and water goes to holding tank. Pump has one pipe goes to this tank and push out from other side of pump.

I found pipe (suction side) had little loose, and repaired.
    Air gap is gone. . Thank you.

But pressure tank still goes up to 35 now. Should I adjust pressure?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Congratulations. You did a nice piece of detective work. Now it seems that the pump is cutting off at 35# and you would like for it to cut off at a higher pressure. To do that, folow these directions:

Turn off the breaker, find the switch and remove the cover. Locate the larger nut in the pump pressure switch: Turning this clockwise will increase both the cut in and cut off pressures. So turning the large nut clockwise shifts the whole operating pressure range of the pump UP to HIGHER pressures.

Conversely, turning the large nut counter-clockwise will lower the whole pump operating range. This is the simplest adjustment to make.

The small nut is used to narrow or widen the gap between the pump cut-on and pump cut-off pressures. Turning the small nut clockwise (tighter) will RAISE the CUT-OFF pressure, and vice versa, loosening or turning the nut counter-clockwise will lower the cut-off pressure.

Which nut to turn in the pump pressure switch control, and which direction to turn it, are usually visible on a label inside the pressure switch cover. \

This website gives a pretty good, though very wordy, description of this. Go about halfway down the page to this point: Which nut adjusts water pump cut on or cut off?

How to adjust water pump pressure, pump cut-on pressure and pump cut-off pressure - private pump and well system do-it-yourself repairs

Jun 4, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Finally able to adjust pressure switch.

I just want to make sure the switch, and change it to new switch.
    So far I think o'k …

Well, last night I fill up tank and turn the motor (pump) off over night to test any water losing from the tank. Good news is this morning had same pressure as last night, which no leaking... Right?

Now, how can I check or what kind of tool I can use to un-clogged pipe (under ground).
    If you have a suggestion, please let me know.
    Thank you
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Sounds like you're doing well!

Now, as for the non-working faucet at the end of the run of pipe, I would first try removing the faucet and see if there is water coming out of the pipe. If so, then clean out the faucet assembly. If not, then you are probably looking at replacing that run of pipe. But this is a little out of my area. Others on this site might have a better solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure tank on well pump [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a power outage and when the power came back on there was no pressure in the system, I think the pressure tank needs to be reset?

New well tank and pump [ 26 Answers ]

We have installed a new well pump and tank the problem we are having is this The water pumps but the pump runs kind of like the tanks not filling up what would cause the tank not to fill thanks

Pump for wellsaver 52 gl. Tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a wellsaver 52 gallon tank and trying to find size of pump to go with tank, help please!!

Air in Well Pump Tank [ 3 Answers ]

For quite some time I've noticed my well pump is full of air. Originally you could see condensation on the lower half of the tank and when you knock on the tank housing you could tell there was water in the lower half and air in the top half. For the last couple of years when you knock on the tank...

Well pump pressure tank [ 3 Answers ]

I am having problems with my pump. Most of the time when I turn the water on (flush the toilet, etc.) I hear a sort of nocking on the pipes. I believe my pump is turning on and off at a constant. My husband has replaced the box that has the voltage regulator and the capacitor in it. The capacitor...

View more questions Search