Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    salth2obabe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Air in Well Pump Tank
    For quite some time I've noticed my well pump is full of air. Originally you could see condensation on the lower half of the tank and when you knock on the tank housing you could tell there was water in the lower half and air in the top half. For the last couple of years when you knock on the tank it is hollow from the top of tank to ground level, and there is no longer any condensation on the outside of the tan housing. Is there a way to bleed the air out of the tank housing? I've looked the housing over and the only visible opening in the housing is about 12 inches up from ground level is a gauge which is screwed into side of housing.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Is it a diaphragm tank? If so, it will have an air valve at the top of the tank.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Also, do you still have water pressure in the house? It would also be good to know if your pump is short-cycling, meaning that when you are using water, the pump runs for a few seconds, shuts off for a few seconds, back on, back off, and so forth.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 18, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by salth2obabe
    For quite some time I've noticed my well pump is full of air. Originally you could see condensation on the lower half of the tank and when you knock on the tank housing you could tell there was water in the lower half and air in the top half. For the last couple of years when you knock on the tank it is hollow from the top of tank to ground level, and there is no longer any condensation on the outside of the tan housing. Is there a way to bleed the air out of the tank housing? I've looked the housing over and the only visible opening in the housing is about 12 inches up from ground level is a gauge which is screwed into side of housing.
    Most bladder tanks have a air valve on top of the tank so that the air pressure may be adjusted. If it does not then you have a pressure tank. As long as a pressure tank contains air it's doing its job. The time to be concerned is if the tank fills up completely. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goldfish tank pump [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what size pump I need for a 420 litre fish tank:confused:i have had the tank for over a year and have recently moved to acreage and tank water my fish are gasping for oxygen and the filter is constantly black what can I do to help my fish

Well Saver Pump Tank [ 2 Answers ]

My husband purchased a horizontal series pump tank for our well to create larger presser. He has built a stand to make it vertical. Is this okay?

Well pump pressure tank [ 3 Answers ]

I am having problems with my pump. Most of the time when I turn the water on (flush the toilet, etc.) I hear a sort of nocking on the pipes. I believe my pump is turning on and off at a constant. My husband has replaced the box that has the voltage regulator and the capacitor in it. The capacitor...

Odor from flush-up pump / tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bathroom in my basement with a flush-up pump (the exit Plumbing is above the basement). It has worked fine for several years But is now starting to stink. I think what is happening is when the Toilet is flushed the water in the toilet completely exits Momentarily allowing tank gases...

View more questions Search