Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluesprite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 01:24 AM
    Can't leave suicidal, bipolar, PTSD boyfriend
    My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 5 years now. When we first started dating, he was very honest with me about his mental health problems, and he was in therapy and on medication. After two years together, we moved to a new city. Since then, everything's gone downhill. He started getting really jealous of any time I spent with new friends. After a while, I stopped trying to make friends at all because it wasn't worth the grief at home. It escalated to the point that we were barely talking to each other.
    We finally split up and I tried seeing someone new, but he spent the next 6 weeks threatening to kill himself, hurting himself in front of me, showing up in the middle of the night in hysterics, and threatening to hurt the guy I was seeing (he was convinced I started seeing him before we broke up). I finally gave up and decided to try it again. It got better for a little while, but then he quit therapy, quit his meds (he's an artist and claims he can't be creative while on psych drugs), and now he even gets jealous over my professor/mentor at school (I don't bother trying to make real friends). Every time I try to end it, he tells me how his life might as well be over, and he won't make it without me.
    I'm completely miserable. But if we break up, we'll have to live together for a least a few weeks before one of us can move out. I know he'll spend every moment trying to change my mind, with begging and threats, and I don't know if I'm strong enough to not give in. And I'm terrified that he'll try to kill himself again. My family loves him, so they're not supportive. I don't have any friends in the city I can stay with. I'm trapped.
    nickshehe Posts: 254, Reputation: 47

May 15, 2008, 03:33 AM
    I think you have to convince him to start therapy again.. and maybe talk to his parents but you have to make sure that they won't let him know that you talked to them.. If he feels that you've betrayed him in that sense then he might hurt himself again..
    Many guys throw death threats at their ex's, it doesn't necessarily mean they will go for it but you can never risk it with these delicate situations.. If you intend on breaking up with him - which seems to be on your mind then you need to make sure he has a stable environment to fall back on.. I realize it's a very hard situation for you but you only have one life and its unfair for you to have to live it in fear because of someone else who is being selfish.
    So I think the first step for you is to get him to start therapy.. If you are intending on breaking up make sure you distance yourself from him first.. Don't make love, try to avoid kissing and hugging e.t.c... If you throw a bomb like that to a person who is unstable it will surely upset him and then god knows what he could do to himself.So make sure you prepare him for it somehow.. you can't rush into it.
    I'm sorry that's all the advice I can offer for now - I'm out of ideas.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

May 15, 2008, 04:19 AM
    You don't deserve that. He is controlling your actions through fear of him hurting himself.

I know its hard, but you need to get out of the relationship. His actions aren't really your responsibility. Can you talk to his family about it so that someone can keep an eye on him as you disappear?
    imation Posts: 284, Reputation: 36

May 15, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Start him on therapy. NOW.
    Get him some help, then get him some friends, and something other than you to rely on.
    Then break up with him, but stay close to him as a friend.
    He will need something to help him and as long as you don't get too close you can still have a good bond together as friends as he becomes more stable.
    The more you keep giving in to his threats the more they will happen and the worse they will get. Be compassionate, but also stay strong in your decision.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Lady get the hell away from him right now, and stay away. You don't have to be a hostage. No Excuses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suicidal Bipolar Boyfriend [ 18 Answers ]

I would really appreciate anyone's advice, especially if they have been through something similar. I have been dating my boyfriend off and on, mostly on for the past three years. He's grown increasingly more violent towards me. He never beats me up or anything but I'm definitely frightened by...

The life of a bipolar twenty year old and her suicidal fianc [ 2 Answers ]

Its been a while since I've posted or answered anything here. I was kinds in withdrawal from the world for a while. If you have ever seen any of my posts you've seen that my life is far from perfect. My fiancé and I have been through a lot. Recently we separated and while I was gone he started...

My boyfriend is bipolar [ 2 Answers ]

hi i have been dating my boyfriend on and off for the past five years. why have we been dating on and off you might ask??? well we started dating when we were 15 and well its hard to stay w/ someone for that long when your sooo young. we know realize at the age of 20 and 21 that we need...

Boyfriend is bipolar [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was diagnosed Bipolar several years ago before I met him. He had been taking his medication - 300 mg of Lithium Carbonate (3 times a day (900 mg total) up until a year and a half ago when he suddenly decided not to take his medication anymore when he was going through his divorce. ...

My boyfriend is bipolar! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my boyfriend is bipolar and I was just woundering if someone could tell me a little more what it is and how I can help him, and if I can in any way thank yall soo much this really helps me a lot. [email protected]

View more questions Search