Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crabbyaunt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Windows Vista Operating System black screen
    When I went to boot up my computer this morning, it was doing an automatic defrag. It said if I wanted to stop the defrag to hit the ESC button. So I hit the ESC button, then the computer crashed. :( I would like to know if I re-install the Operating System from the CD that came with the computer (it is a 7 week old Dell), will I lose all my files and folders that are saved on the computer.

I went through Dell tech help-line, but they seem to not be able to operate outside of their scripted lines.

Thanks for any help.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbyaunt
    I would like to know if I re-install the Operating System from the CD ...will I lose all my files and folders that are saved on the computer.
    Not IF you do it properly and don't "restore", format, or repartition the hard drive. If you've never rebuilt a computer from scratch, I recommend you take it to a local repair facility. They should be able to fix whatever the issue is without a full reinstall, too.
    crabbyaunt Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Thank you for the info. I am going to have someone do the work tomorrow. Once again, thanks. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows ME operating system [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a compaq presario 5000 series, and it has an old software versoin of Windows ME. (Melinnium). I want to change the operating system to Windows XP. I do have a gateway Restore CD from another computer I have, and I was wondering if I could use the same restore cd in my Compaq to...

Windows vista system restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I want to do a system restore but want to create a restore point prior to the current date. It is not like XP where they show a calendar. I have been having trouble with my computer for two weeks and want to know how I go about creating a point for two weeks ago and not today. I hate Vista!

Error Loading Operating System while installing Windows XP [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I`ve recently installed a Vista Ultimate and felt that XP was better, so as normal, formatted the harddisk and installed XP. At 1st, after the XP reboot after the first installed, there`s this message ` Error loading operating system`. So I thought I just use `FIXMBR` and re-install XP....

Vista operating system [ 5 Answers ]

All new laptops are offering Vista. Is it too early to buy a new computer considering that many programs and their software are not yet compatible with Vista? Many are still in Beta form. How long should a person wait until Vista is more user friendly?

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp

View more questions Search