Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    melissa1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 5

Apr 24, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Measuring big
    Right I'm 30 weeks pregnant I went to the midwife today who did everything like normal, blood pressure etc but my belly is measuring 5weeks bigger, she asked if my due date could be wrong which I thought it was to start with!
    I am having a scan Monday to check on actual growth of baby as she did mention it could be normal for me as I could be carrying a lot of water or something I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing?
    If on Monday at my scan baby is measuring bigger than expected what will happen will my due date change or will I be offered another scan or something!!
    I'm quite worried now that baby is big my 1st was 8lb 8.5 and really hoping that this baby isn't any bigger!

Thanks in advance for replys
    Melissa
    thegandyman Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Apr 24, 2008, 03:32 PM
    2nd babies are very often bigger than the 1st.
    I was a couple of weeks early personally and I was a 10lb peanut.
    My older brother was almost 8lb and was delivered on time.
    Probably not what you wanted to hear, sorry.

Apr 24, 2008, 03:34 PM
    A lot of people have told me this I asked my midwife and she told me it's a myth each pregnancy is different!
    I'm really hoping she isn't bigger than my 1st but as long as she is healthy that's all that matters

Thanks for you message
    ang8318 Posts: 299, Reputation: 27

Apr 25, 2008, 04:41 AM
    I measured about 4 weeks bigger my entire pregnancy, so at 36 weeks I measure 40 etc. It turned out my due date was right, just a big baby, I ended up with a c-section at 37 weeks, because my pelvic measurement was too small for a big baby. However I also had other issues that lead to a c-section, women can and do have larger babies all the time! Good luck to you!

Apr 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Just a quick update I went for my scan today and baby's waist is measuring in at 34 weeks 1 day and I am only 30 weeks today her weight right now is 4lb 4oz which is quite scary considering I have 10 weeks left!
    The sonographer said they would prob induce as she is that big already but when I went through to see the consultant she was horrible!!
    I asked about induction she advised me that if I go to full term the baby is more than likely to be a good 10lb which is terrifying but am not allowed to be induced she said women have big babies every day!
    Surely I have a right to my opinion I don't want a c section I want a natural birth but don't want to give birth to a baby that size!
    Any advice??
    Should I ask to see another consultant who will listen to me?
    stormey44 Posts: 380, Reputation: 3

Apr 28, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Well to ease your mind I just had a baby at 32 weeks and she weighed 5 pounds 12 ounces huge I know well good luck
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 02:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa1
    just a quick update i went for my scan today and babys waist is measuring in at 34 wks 1 day and i am only 30 wks today her weight right now is 4lb 4oz which is quite scary considering i have 10 wks left!
    the sonographer said they would prob induce as she is that big already but when i went through to see the consultant she was horrible!!!
    i asked about induction she advised me that if i go to full term the baby is more than likely to be a good 10lb which is terrifying but am not allowed to be induced she said women have big babies every day!
    surely i have a right to my opinion i dont want a c section i want a natural birth but dont want to give birth to a baby that size!
    any advice???
    should i ask to see another consultant who will listen to me??
    The problem is that it is only an educated guess on the weight and the later you are in the pregnancy, the less accurate it becomes. Your dates may be off as you first thought as well. Being induced does not guarantee you will avoid a c-section, in fact, it increases the odds of having one. At 30 weeks, you don't have to make a decision now. See how things look in several more weeks. If they still think baby may be a good size, there are a number of things you can do in labour and birth to make things easier... stay out of bed for the most part, try to avoid an epidural if possible, use upright positioning, avoid giving birth in a reclined position.
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Apr 29, 2008, 02:48 AM
    I'm no expert but can't you just wait a little longer and seeing as how your baby is almost ready to come out anyway induce it early and have the natural birth as apposed to waiting and... ouch!

Apr 29, 2008, 05:09 AM
    I'm not saying I want to be induced now I am saying at 37wks I wouldn't want to have her yet!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2008, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by melissa1
    im not saying i want to be induced now i am saying at 37wks i wouldnt want to have her yet!
    You still run the risk of having a c-section if things don't go well with an induction. Certainly many inductions go smoothly, when the mother's body is ready for it, but many others do not. It is important to keep in mind that one intervention often makes others become necessary so they should be used only when medically warranted... this becomes even more important if your cervix is not favorable to being induced at 37 weeks. I've had more mothers end up with sections from being induced than have from a suspected big baby.
    Odds are quite good that you could find another consultant who would induce you early because of "big baby" syndrome, since it is one of the most common reasons for the increase in inductions these days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Measuring Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

When the specs of a fan are 52", what exactly does that represent? It appears that when I go to the store, most fan blades are anywhere from 20"-24." Any opinions out there on Lamp Plus' brand Casa Vieja? How do they rate in their price range?

Measuring Electric Power [ 3 Answers ]

Using the formula I=P/E will give me amps. Therefore if I have a circuit containing 35W Triphos Lighting Tubes with a 240v supply I should get 0.145amps. Why, when I use a clamp Ameter do I get a much higher reading?

Measuring Replacement Windows [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install replacement windows and need to measure my existing opening to get the right size windows. I have seen numerous instructions online, but they are not very clear. My existing windows are aluminum. My first question is, does anyone know any websites out there with...

Measuring cups [ 9 Answers ]

I'm British living in Poland and am unable to get the 'measuring cups' used in american recipes. Can anyone tell me roughly the size of cup used. Is it a traditional tea cup size? My scales convert from oz to grams, is there any easy way to convert for example 1 cup of sugar or flour into oz or...

Measuring Electrcal Current [ 7 Answers ]

Why the voltage of an electrcal current is awys measured in multiple of eleven

View more questions Search