Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Current Events (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   The new era of civility (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=557505)

• Feb 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
    speechlesstx
    The new era of civility
    After the Tucson tragedy, President Obama urged a "new era of civility." He called on us to "pause for a moment and make sure that we are talking with each other in a way that heals, not a way that wounds.” I hope he follows his own advice.

Donna Brazile
    apologized for "how my words, the vitriol and the anger I often feel toward those who might have disagreements, may have contributed to the decline in civility and public discourse."

Is this the new era of civility, or is it found in what Rep. Michael Capuano (D-Mass.) said on Tuesday? Capuano said, "Every once and awhile you need to get out on the streets and get a little bloody when necessary."

Perhaps it's in union thugs attacking 5' 1" women?

I guess he was just taking Capuano's remarks to heart. Where is this new era of civility?
  • Feb 24, 2011, 11:27 AM
    smoothy

Obama was demanding "Civility" from everyone but Democrats... they of course are encouraged to be as rude, threatening or just plain ignorant as they want to be.
  • Feb 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
    speechlesstx

And the civility just keeps coming. At AFSCME’s “solidarity” rally in Providence, RI another union thug attacked a cameraman, and threatened if he didn't leave, “I’ll f**k you in the a$$, you faggot!”

Now that wasn't very nice.
  • Feb 24, 2011, 04:38 PM
    excon

Hello Steve:

Please don't destroy the labor movement. Please stop brainwashing our senators. Please stop lying about health care. Please stop being so damn wrong.

Feel better?

excon
  • Feb 25, 2011, 07:46 AM
    speechlesstx
    Sorry, saying please is no better than smiling while calling me a racist.

But, what labor movement? There is no labor movement and the left is lying through their teeth about what's going on in Wisconsin. No one is trying to bust PRIVATE sector unions. Public employee unions are another thing entirely, their main reason for existence was political, not saving workers from dangerous mining conditions. They had it pretty good already, and since my tax dollars pay their salary I don't particularly like that unions can negotiate how to spend my money.
  • Feb 25, 2011, 08:07 AM
    excon

Hello again, Steve:

Couple things. Obama called for civility. Apparently, you think that gives YOU license to hurl invectives, free of any response... Dude!

I'm not a fan of public service unions... And, I'd be right there with you, calling for them to sacrifice - IF you hadn't just handed the richest of the rich amongst us, a humongous tax cut... No sacrifice for them.

Our economic problems are NOT the garbage collectors fault... It's NOT the cop on the beats fault. It's NOT the teachers fault. Nope, it isn't. As long as the rich got theirs, why shouldn't the crossing guard get his?

excon
  • Feb 25, 2011, 08:32 AM
    smoothy

You are right OBAMA called for it... and none of the Democrats are showing much of it... ( and Obama certainly isn't practicing what he preaches), yet Republicans are expected to, alone... all by themselves..

Part of Wisconsins problems besides years of over generous handouts while the Democrats were in control is the high taxes that state has... thats driving business to move to other lower taxed states just to have a chance at being competitive.

Its common practice for states to offer incintives to get businesses to move to a state or convince them to not leave. So its not uncommon at all to give businesses a break when they need it. THe alternative is they pack up and move a thousand miles away or more... if they don't just close up shop altogether.

How about the 38% of the population that's not only not paying their share of the taxes... but getting money back they neve paid in taxes in the first place. Put a hault to that and you will get far more money than a handful of tax breaks to some businesses.

Besides.. do you think ANY business actually pays its taxes in the classic sense... they just jack up the prices and "pass it on" to their customers who end up paying it because they can't "pass it on" to anyone else.

Important factors and perspectives to keep in mind.
  • Feb 25, 2011, 08:41 AM
    speechlesstx
    You say invective, I'm just calling them on their lies.

Hitler "abolished unions and that's what" Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is "doing today." -Wisconsin state Sen. Lena Taylor
    And, look, what we're talking about is that the governor has cherry-picked what public workers he will subject to this so-called removal of their collective bargaining rights.The firefighters, the policemen and others who supported him in his election bid, well, guess what? They don't have to worry about their collective bargaining rights." -Donna Brazile
    Neither do those who opposed him.

"Despite what you may have heard about Wisconsin’s finances, the state is on track to have a budget surplus this year. I am not kidding." -Rachel Maddow
    "People who earn $30,000, $40,000, $50,000 a year might have 20 percent of their income just disappear overnight." -Ed Schultz
    And my favorite, Gov. Walker is going to call out the National Guard on is people...

Governor Scott Walker is trying to ram through cuts to the health care and retirement benefits of Wisconsin nurses and teachers -- and take away their right to negotiate for decent benefits.

If that weren't shameful enough, Walker has threatened to call out the National Guard if workers protest against these cuts!

The Wisconsin State Senate is voting on Walker's plan this week. Can you call your State Senator and tell them to vote NO? Click here for the number and a script.

(After you've called, click here to tell us what you think about Gov. Walker's budget cuts and threats. We'll share these comments with the media -- and possibly use them in ads -- to help defeat this radical proposal.)

Walker’s willingness to pit the Wisconsin National Guard for a fight against nurses, teachers, and other public employees puts him firmly on the wrong side of history.

The idea that a governor can use the military to impose his personal, political will on the people he governs is a primitive relic of the past – one that resulted in almost a century of bloodshed in this country. The last time military force was used against workers was during the Memphis sanitation strike in 1968, just before Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination. It must not be repeated again.
    -Progressive Change Campaign Committee

Lies, lies and fear mongering.
  • Feb 25, 2011, 09:08 AM
    excon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    And my favorite, Gov. Walker is going to call out the National Guard on is people....

Hello again, Steve:

He DID send the cops to the homes of the Democrats... What was the cop going to do? Arrest the congressmen for not coming to work?? THAT, in and of itself, shows me that the governor doesn't understand the law.

excon

PS> I can't argue with you about what somebody else said. Will it make you feel better if I admit that all lefty's aren't as wonderful as me? Ok, they aren't.
  • Feb 25, 2011, 09:45 AM
    speechlesstx
    HE did no such thing, the Republican head of the Senate sent state troopers in hopes of convincing them to return to perform their elected duties. At least Obama voted present, these guys are plain cowards.

Look, I have no problem with politics getting a little rough. I think it's fun and makes it interesting. I have a problem with BOTH sides getting ridiculous, and I have a HUGE problem with left-wingers hypocrisy on civility. I'm not going to be preached to on civility by people that have none.
  • Feb 25, 2011, 09:52 AM
    excon
    Quote:

HE did no such thing, the Republican head of the Senate sent state troopers in hopes of convincing them to return to perform their elected duties.

Hello again, Steve:

Ok, it was the other right winger... But the cop was sent there to convince?? A cop - with a GUN on his belt. A COP!! Sending a cop with a GUN on his side, means only ONE thing to me... Not to you, though. Do you also have a pair of the standard right wing blinders?? Dude!

excon
  • Feb 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

Ok, it was the other right winger... But the cop was sent there to convince??? A cop - with a GUN on his belt. A COP!!! Sending a cop with a GUN on his side, means only ONE thing to me... Not to you, though. Do you also have a pair of the standard right wing blinders??? Dude!

Dude, a cop with a gun on his belt usually means one thing to me, too. My brother is taking a break for dinner.
  • Feb 26, 2011, 03:29 AM
    tomder55
    Quote:

And the civility just keeps coming. At AFSCME’s “solidarity” rally in Providence, RI another union thug attacked a cameraman, and threatened if he didn't leave, “I’ll f**k you in the a$$, you faggot!”

Now that wasn't very nice.

Where are all the gay activist bloggers who are always weighing in on anti-gay rhetoric, threats and hate speech against gays?
  • Feb 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Where are all the gay activist bloggers who are always weighing in on anti-gay rhetoric, threats and hate speech against gays?

That is so yesterday don't you find Tom?
  • Feb 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
    cdad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    That is so yesterday don't you find Tom?

Actuslly it seems commonplace in the youth of today at least here in the U.S. to use "gay" as a negative expression.
  • Feb 27, 2011, 02:38 PM
    paraclete
    Quote:

Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Actuslly it seems commonplace in the youth of today atleast here in the U.S. to use "gay" as a negative expression.

In today's connotations I wouldn't say it was positive
  • Feb 27, 2011, 06:27 PM
    smearcase

Ex,
    Don't forget O. offset the tax break for the rich with the tax increase on the poor.
    tax.com: Obama and the GOP: United Against the Working Poor
    What a guy!
    Has he found those comfy shoes yet?
    Remember this guy--see Earl Butz at wik. I won't link it-it's xrated and involves shoes.
  • Feb 28, 2011, 08:58 AM
    speechlesstx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that. They're all hanging out with the feminists that didn't get upset over Jerry Brown and NOW calling Meg Whitman a whore.
  • Feb 28, 2011, 09:01 AM
    smoothy

I guess "the new civility" means never having to answer for hipocracy... or anything else. As long as you are a card carrying lefty.
  • Feb 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
    excon

Hello again, smoothy:

Well, I'm just goddamned glad I didn't subscribe to this new era, so you can't accuse me. I LOVE name calling, and I ain't going to stop.

excon