Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thornz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 03:15 AM
    Virtual Private Network to access Geo-locked websites
    I want to know if using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access and or watch geo locked websites is legal (i.e Netflix, Hulu, etc)? I know that VPN usage in general is legal but I want to know what is legal and what is not specifically, aside from obvious illegal activity on the internet such as torrenting copyrighted material. I asked my VPN provider and they told me that you can use the VPN to access those sites but they couldn't give me any proof.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 6, 2012, 03:18 AM
    Yes it possible, as to legality that's more of a mine field.
    The reason why sites show different content to different areas is to do with local copyright issues as well as scheduling.
    So you find things released in one area before others. Helps to drum up hype etc.
    As long as the service is being lawfully purchased then use of a vpn to access it should be fine.
    Thornz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Yes it possible, as to legality that's more of a mine field.
    The reason why sites show different content to different areas is to do with local copyright issues as well as scheduling.
    So you find things released in one area before others. Helps to drum up hype etc.
    As long as the service is being lawfully purchased then use of a vpn to access it should be fine.
    So as long as I am paying the monthly fee for Netflix, for example, and I use a vpn to access it I shouldn't run into any problems? And I'm guessing the legality issue would depend on each different website so its hard to say in general?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Virtual Private Networking [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'd like to know how to set up virtual private network access on my home LAN securely and, as the name emplies, I'd like all traffic encrypted between client and server. One use would be to allow access to my home LAN and it's resources while on another LAN. Another application would...

How do I network virtual machines in a client/server configuration? [ 2 Answers ]

Currently, on my host machine I am running Windows 7. I have VirtualBox installed, and I'm trying to network Windows 2003 and Windows XP as virtual machines. Is this possible? I've set up the Domain Controller which is (10.0.0.2), but when I try to connect Windows XP (10.0.0.3) it is unable to find...

HP Procurve 420. Internet Access, no network access? [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to do something I have never done before or heard of anyone doing before. We have 3 HP Procurve AP's. They're currently used to access internet and network resources via MAC Filtering for users with laptops and meetings. However, we are looking to modify to allow guest connections with...

Virtual private network [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, Does anyone know a free virtual private network download other than Hotspot Shield? Thanks

Wireless Network Adapter not showing up in Virtual Server! [ 5 Answers ]

Here's the breakdown: I have Virtual PC 2007 I have Windows Server 2003 installed When I go into Network adapters (on the virtual PC) my Wirless Card is not being shown. I have enabled Virtual Services on the adapter via Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network Connections/My...

View more questions Search