Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Wireless Network Adapter not showing up in Virtual Server!
    Here's the breakdown:

I have Virtual PC 2007

I have Windows Server 2003 installed

When I go into Network adapters (on the virtual PC) my Wirless Card is not being shown.

I have enabled Virtual Services on the adapter via Network and Sharing Center/Manage Network Connections/My Adapter/Properties/enable Virtual Services/apply
    But no luck.

Any ideas!

Rick

P.S. To those who remember my DHCP scope issues, I have still not completley figured that out either, I am hoping I have it right but I lost my ethernet cables, therefore am trying to connect wirelessly!
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
    Shut down your Virtual Server. Open the Virtual Machine Settings and go to the Network configuration. Increase the number of network adapters by one and then add your Wireless Adapter as the new network card. Start up your Virtual Server and install the drivers for your new network adapter.

Mar 17, 2009, 11:59 AM

I work with VMware ESX and not much with HyperV or Virtual PC so it took me a while to install a new VM on Virtual PC.

Addendum to above post:
    The new virtual network adapter for the wireless will be installed with the same NIC type as the wired network adapter. You will need to change the friendly name to make them easier to recognize.

Secondly, the wireless adapter must be connected on the host computer before a connection can be made on the virtual server.
    Networking Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 12:26 PM
    OK, I have already did all that. I have not yet renamed the friendly on the second adapter that comes up. I will try that and see if the wirless works!
    Networking Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 01:56 PM

Got it! Thanks for the response, it was just a simple solution too. I didn't have to rename it I just had to enable it and disable the ethernet one. I renamed them to make it easier to identify but I didn't have to for it to work!

Thanks for the response chuckhole!

Mar 18, 2009, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Got it! Thanks for the response, it was just a simple solution too. I didn't have to rename it I just had to enable it and disable the ethernet one. I renamed them to make it easier to identify but I didn;t have to for it to work!

Thanks for the response chuckhole!
    Correct. The renaming was only for easy identification. The default names do not help much.

I forgot to mention disabling the other adapter. That can get messy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network adapter [ 3 Answers ]

I am back again.. by the way I never resolved the other issue but was wondering if I could trouble you again. I am trying to install Comcast onto my laptop but it says I do not have a network adapter. Now the question is this. . talked to comcast no help talked to some other people no help. What I...

Can not figure out my wireless network password, I have a router and wireless network [ 2 Answers ]

I have wireless network through, router. My wireless network password is saved on my laptop. My brother wants to use his laptop in my home using my wireless network, I know my ip address how do I give him password and key I have forgotten

Web server in virtual PC [ 3 Answers ]

In my virtual PC I have apache server; how can I access my vitual web server with my real machine(not virtual)

Windows Server 2003 and Virtual PC [ 20 Answers ]

Like I have stated in two other threads (which no one has answered please do!) I have installed Windows Server 2003 on a virtual PC and I am unable to access the internet. I think my problem is that I have installed this Virtual PC as a domain controller with Active Directory, DNS sever and DHCP...

Network adapter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have windows XP. Have problem with my network adapter drivers. I use a broadcom netlink network card. I have a yellow exclamation mark next to the driver in device manager. It shows an error code 31. I try to uninstall it but it doesn't let me.. says failed to uninstall because it may be...

View more questions Search