Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honeypup123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
    What to do if a dog swallows a pork rib bone whole
    My 65 lb yellowlab golden retreiver mix dog swallowed a pork rib bone whole it was the size of a middle finger
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2010, 12:08 PM

Keep an eye on her. A lot of times these things pass without incident but there is a large risk of it getting stuck and requiring surgery.

Monitor her - make sure she is eating and drinking, not vomitting, and having bowel movements that are regular and not black or bloody. Make note if she seems uncomfortable in any sense. At the first sign that anything is not 100% normal, take her to the vet to get x-rays done.

You can also feed her some cottonballs or even bread to help cushion the bone, especially if there are any sharp edges in it. I would call your vet regardless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What to do if a dog swallows a pork rib bone whole [ 2 Answers ]

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone whole, it was about the size of a middle finger, she is a 65 lb golden retreiver yellow lab mix

Dog swallowed pork bone [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 lab/beagle (who is probably part goat as he eats anything that he can get his paws on) swallowed a cooked pork bone. I am giving him a lot of water as well as the cotton ball treatment, but I am wondering if I should give him anything to soften his stool or accelerate the pooping?

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone, what should I do [ 6 Answers ]

My yellow lab, 95 lbs, swallowed a pork rib bone - she has swallowed a small bone in the past and her stomach acids took care of it cause nothing bad happened. Its about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. What should I do> Feed her bread?

My dog ate a pork bone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog ate a cooked pork bone tonight. My dad gave it to her thinking that it was OK because we have given her beef bones and she does good with those. I am worried because I heard that they split and can do a lot of damage. I don't know what to do. She is a lab/beagle mix and about 50lbs. Do I...

View more questions Search