Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beagador Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Dog swallowed pork bone
    My 2 lab/beagle (who is probably part goat as he eats anything that he can get his paws on) swallowed a cooked pork bone. I am giving him a lot of water as well as the cotton ball treatment, but I am wondering if I should give him anything to soften his stool or accelerate the pooping?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2009, 12:31 AM

That's great that you knew to give him cotton balls, it helps cushion the bone. Bread is also another good one if you can get that into him.

Just keep a very close eye on him for the next few days and if he starts acting strange (lethargic, excessive drooling etc) then get him to the vet immediately.
    Same goes for if he does not poop or struggles to do so.

Dec 2, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Thanks Shazamataz.. I appreciate your response!

Dec 4, 2009, 09:44 AM
    I did take him to the Vet as he was not pooping. The X-rays showed no trace of the bone, only a thumbtack from the carpet that he swallowed. But I did find out that he has hookworms and they gave him a dewormer and Heartworm medicine. Thanks for your assistance.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 06:53 PM

Oh wow, so it ended up being something completely different.

Good luck on his recovery from the worms, what did they advise to do about the thumb tack? Just let it pass?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog ate a pork bone [ 13 Answers ]

My fox terrier ate a pork bone last night and this morning at 6 am he went out to potty and was having trouble pooping. I let him in and out a few times finally when he did go it was in the house and when I cleaned it up I noticed it was hard and had bone fragments in it. Then he started to throw...

My dog swallowed a pork rib bone, what should I do [ 6 Answers ]

My yellow lab, 95 lbs, swallowed a pork rib bone - she has swallowed a small bone in the past and her stomach acids took care of it cause nothing bad happened. Its about 4 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. What should I do> Feed her bread?

My dog ate a pork bone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog ate a cooked pork bone tonight. My dad gave it to her thinking that it was OK because we have given her beef bones and she does good with those. I am worried because I heard that they split and can do a lot of damage. I don't know what to do. She is a lab/beagle mix and about 50lbs. Do I...

My pup swallowed a bone.what do I do? [ 4 Answers ]

OK... so my three month puppy swallowed a bone today from a beef rib. The bone was small but still... I didn't know he had the bone, because my dumb uncle gave it to him and by the time I realized it and tried to take it away, he swallowed it whole... now I'm scared, because he hasn't thrown up yet...

View more questions Search