Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aimee.townsend90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 10:10 AM
    Can my landlord take me to court for unpaid rent if I leave the property?
    I have been renting a fully furnished flat since 13.08.09 and due to leave 13.02.10. The first 3months were paid in full but I have withheld the last 2 months as the 4 main appliances in which came with the flat do not work. I withheld it thinking he would fix it as he said since I moved in he would get them fixed but once the rent was paid he ignored me. the fridge thermostat has broke the gas fire and oven are dodgy.. to the point were the flame goes out but the gas still come out and the washing machine isn't plumbed in properly so I cannot clean my clothes. And the vacumme doesn't suck anything up. He is a horrid man in general and will do nothing to help me. I understand I have to now pay the rent.
    My neighbour has exactly the same problems as I have and he's the same with her. Where as the men however in the other flats get treated as royalty and any problems they have are fixed within a few days of asking.
    He is now saying he is going to take me to court for unpaid rent... I have another property now so wish to move in a.s.a.p. I have offered to pay the rent due in installments as I cannot afford it in one go.
    Can he still take me to court now I am leaving the property and have offered to pay him?
    I am 19 and in a right pickle.
    Cheers.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aimee.townsend90 View Post
    i have been renting a fully furnished flat since 13.08.09 and due to leave 13.02.10. the first 3months were paid in full but i have witheld the last 2 months as the 4 main appliances in which came with the flat do not work. i witheld it thinking he would fix it as he said since i moved in he would get them fixed but once the rent was paid he ignored me., the fridge thermostat has broke the gas fire and oven are dodgy.. to the point were the flame goes out but the gas still come out and the washing machine isnt plumbed in properly so i cannot clean my clothes. and the vacumme doesnt suck anything up. he is a horrid man in general and will do nothing to help me. i understand i have to now pay the rent.
    My neighbour has exactly the same problems as i have and hes the same with her. where as the men however in the other flats get treated as royalty and any problems they have are fixed within a few days of asking.
    he is now saying he is going to take me to court for unpaid rent... i have another property now so wish to move in a.s.a.p. i have offered to pay the rent due in installments as i cannot afford it in one go.
    can he still take me to court now i am leaving the property and have offered to pay him?!
    i am 19 and in a right pickle.
    Cheers.
    If you do not pay your rent in full, he can take you to court and he will most likely win. You can go to court and argue that you notified him numerous times of the problems with all the appliances and that nothing was done to rectify the issue; the judge may not order you to pay all the back rent but I don't think you'll be let off the hook completely.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 08:49 AM

If you end up in court the judge may wonder if your inability to pay was a coincidence when you decided to not pay rent because of the appliances. What exactly was your offer to the landlord, how much/when?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord receive rent from 2 tenants for the same property? [ 1 Answers ]

Our landlord in Texas usually required a tenant to sign a one year lease but agreed to allow us a 6 month lease if we prepaid the total lease. We signed the lease in October 2008 and then advised the landlord in January 2009 that we had purchased a home and would be vacating the property at that...

Landlord is taking me to rent and civil court [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord took me to rent court for 2,200 dollars. The judge broke our lease and didn't award her any money:D. Now she is taking me to civil court for the 2,200 dollars. Can she sue me twice for the same thing in a different court?:confused:

Landlord charging for unpaid rent and never rented the home [ 9 Answers ]

Can a landlord cash your check and then sue you for unpaid rent when you never signed a rental agreement and never moved in the home at all even when you gave him a 72 hours notice of not wanting the home because of pesticides and you find a better home and lessor rent than what he was offering you

Can landlord deduct unpaid utilities out of paid rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am dealing with a shady landlord. I have been told to pay utilities (gas/water) to landlord with out receiving a bill. This practice is not stated in the lease, in fact it actually states to pay utility company directly. I have asked to see a copy of the bill so I can see what my apt. usage is. I...

Landlord is broke, should I pay last months rent or leave the deposit? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello all.. I'm from Cali and here is my problem. I signed a year lease Mar 07. This past Sept. the landlord tells me they are selling due to ARM loan and the mortgage now being double of what it was before. They were going through financial hardships and would not beable to refinance or...

View more questions Search