Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bc254 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 08:28 PM
    compressor cycles but fan runs continuosly
    I recently replaced my 19 year old heat pump and this is the first winter I have used the new one. It will keep the house at set point but when the outside temp drops to around mid to low 20's the compressor on the unit will cycle and maintain inside temp but the fan will run continuously. I have not noticed aux heat coming on even with outside temp near 12 degree. Should I turn on emergency heat or continue to let the unit run. Service tech has been called and has checked unit 2x.
    builderbob1 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Jan 14, 2010, 01:13 AM

I would turn the outside unit off and put emergency heat on
    Did you buy the same brand heat pump as your old one if not sometimes you cann't mix match units of different brands.Sometimes low voltage wiring is different from brand to brand.
    bc254 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by builderbob1 View Post
    I would turn the outside unit off and put emergency heat on
    Did you buy the same brand heat pump as your old one if not sometimes you cann't mix match units of different brands.Sometimes low voltage wiring is different from brand to brand.

The new unit is a Tempstar while the older one a Whirlpool... however after checking the unit out this evening the tech seems to think it may be a thermostat issue. I had installed a Honeywell 7400 it was removed and tech installed 5000 Honeywell. The 7400 was programmable while the latter not so. Still have the problem, now the tech will contact folks to learn more about the thermostats.
    Can't tell if they work on timing and temp or just temp. Curious though. Thanks for the input and I will pass this on.
    Justin Orr Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 09:32 PM
    It makes sense that the compressor cycles on and off but the fan stays on when the temp outside drops. Heat pumps don't perform well when the temp drops below 30s so that's why second stage heat is used (called auxiliary or emergency heat) in conjunction with the heat pump. Second stage is usually a high resistance heat element that is installed in the ductwork and as voltage passes through it, it gets red hot and heats the air passing over it (just like a gigantic hairdryer). The problem could be that the thermostat is not making the connection to the secondary heat wire, or if it is maybe the wire isn't connected. It could be frayed or broken somewhere where you can't see it (under the house or in the attic or wall). You (or the tech) can check the voltage from the red wire and the second stage heat wire and it should be around 24v. If that's okay, it could be the relay that turns on the heat element. If its not the relay, it could be the heat element itself.. maybe burned open, or not connected properly to its high voltage source. Also, there are safety high temperature switches that will disengage the heat element if it gets too hot and shut your heat element off, maybe one of those has malfunctioned and won't allow the relay to open. Hopefully your tech knows these things and can check them out for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amana air conditioning compressor fan runs but compressor does not [ 9 Answers ]

I have an Amana Model RCE30A2B Compressor unit installed it is about 6 years old, the compressor will not cut in when demanded yet the cooling fan for the unit does

Condensing unit fan stops compressor still runs? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bryant 561C, about 7 years old. The Fan on the outside condensing unit would stop but the compressor would stay running. Tested the fan motor and it was drawing high amps. Replaced the fan motor but the unit will run for about 30 to 45 minutes. And the fan will stop but the compressor...

Fan runs but compressor cycles off in 1-2 seconds [ 1 Answers ]

I reviewed many posts but didn't see a diagnosis for this issue. I have a split system, forced air gas furnace with ac compressor unit outside. Unit is 5 years old, and outside of warranty. The compressor fan works fine, and cycles on when the thermostat goes to cool. The compressor cycles...

Ac/heating indoor fan runs after compressor shut down [ 1 Answers ]

Ac compressor and indoor fan comes on OK. When compressor shuts down, approx. 60 seconds later indoor fan shuts off, this is normal. About 10 seconds later the indoor fan comes on, the compressor is off at this time.

Compressor constantly cycles on/off [ 2 Answers ]

The compressor on my 3 ton unit cycles on for a minute or two and then off for a minute or two, for long periods at a time. The blower is not cycling on/off because of the thermostat setting ( themostat at 78, room temp at 84). The air is cool, so it's not very noticeable inside the house that...

View more questions Search