Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanp99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Compressor constantly cycles on/off
    The compressor on my 3 ton unit cycles on for a minute or two and then off for a minute or two, for long periods at a time. The blower is not cycling on/off because of the thermostat setting ( themostat at 78, room temp at 84). The air is cool, so it's not very noticeable inside the house that the compressor is constantly cycling, but this must be bad for the compressor. Any advice on what is wrong?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Sounds like it could be low on refrigerant. Shut unit down and call a qulified tech to service unit. Running it like this is hard on unit and will cause more expensive repair. Good Luck
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 02:14 PM
    It may be a safety switch cycling it, a low pressure switch will do this as well as a high pressure switch, this is when if you have a volt meter you would check these switches.
    The low press. sw. cycles the unit if the system gets low on refrigerant and the high pressure sw. cycles it if the head (discharge ) pressure gets to high, such as a bad fan motor or very dirty condenser.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cycles of biology [ 8 Answers ]

So far I have Kreb's, life, cell, cardiac, nitrogen, carbon, ornithine, calvin, nutrient and recycling. (add cycle to the end of these) are there any others I have missed out.

Blower Set to "Continuous Run" turns off Briefly when Compressor Cycles [ 4 Answers ]

We have two AC units/zones servicing our house... We have both systems set (at the thermostat) to continuously run the blowers even if the compressor has cycled off. The blower on one unit, however, cycles off briefly for about 2 seconds when the air conditioner compressor turns off, despite...

Life Cycles [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for life cycle diagrams for a butterfly frog and a germinating seed

Changes in Menstrual Cycles [ 2 Answers ]

Any changes in menstrual cycles such as clotting, and unusually heavy bleeding can be indications of serious problems, no matter what age, so please see your family physician. Please take your body serious and watch for signs. Check this page for possible or probable causes of changes in your...

View more questions Search