Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kraussnumber2 Posts: 105, Reputation: 10

Apr 8, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Weight watchers
    Hey

I was just wondering if anyone has tried weight watchers? I have heard such great things about this program and wanted some opinions on it. Any opinion is welcome... good or bad. I just want to know if I should spend money on it.

Thanks!
    Rach00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Hi, I'll be honest I've joined Weight Watchers a number of times over the years. However had 2 very successful periods with them. The first approx 15 years ago (I was 18 or 19 @ the time) (so programme no longer around), but lost around 35 kg's. Then again when I was 29 (so about 5-6 yrs ago) and lost around 30 kg's. I stopped going but continued to lose through continuing to follow the points plan and going to the gym... Ultimately, I believe in Weight Watchers and think it is a great way to learn about healthy eating/living over the long term. However, ultimately your own personal motivation is what will be the make or break. Going to meetings is a good idea...
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 11:57 AM

Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem or a number of the other food plans are all decent in their own way. They all promote portion control and eating the right foods.

Ultimately you need to change your lifestyle to successfully lose and keep weight off.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 12:36 PM
    For many dieters, Weight Watchers is a very useful starting point. It provides enormous support and a lot of sound advice. And there are classes throughout the world. However, like all weight loss programs, it has its drawbacks.

Weight Watchers is a sustainable (2 pounds per week) program that works for many people. However it is not suitable for everyone. The group meetings can be daunting or threatening to some.

Weight Watchers programs have historically been good programs, but they are increasingly relying on gimmicks and slick marketing. The new "FlexPoints" plan is basically the "Winning Points Plan" with re-freshed marketing. They advertise aggressively, trying to convince overweight people that they can lose weight without sacrificing the foods they love. The points-based plans control portion size by allowing calories that should be consumed on healthy food with very small portions of potentially unhealthy food. This strategy gives the dieter a false sense of the real nutritional changes they need to make in their lives for long-term success. If one seriously wants to lose weight and keep it off in the long-term, they need to think more comprehensively about the foods they eat. The program does not put a priority on exercise, which is essential. Long-term group therapy impedes the development of self-reliance and self-discipline, which is clearly the most important trait in those 5% of dieters who succeed in the long-term.

Pros of Weight Watchers Program
    Steady, long-term weight loss
    Ongoing support and advice
    Education in healthier eating habits
    Plenty of tools and resources
    Lots of variety so less chance of giving up through boredom
    Ability to eat all food groups, eliminating cravings
    Points system saves time and makes the process simple
    Suitable for vegetarians
    Includes all major food groups so no cut in valuable nutrients

The disadvantages are:

1. Points/Calorie-counting has it's limits
    The points system is by no means a complete indicator of the nutritional value of the food Calorie-counting does raise our awareness of the relative calorific value of foods. However, calorie content is only one standard of measurement. (A candy bar may contain the same calories/points as a large sandwich, but it's not as healthy or nutritious.) So as well as counting Weight Watchers points, you should be careful to develop healthy eating habits which will help you to lose weight and maintain your health.

2. Points/Calorie-counting is only temporary
    It's difficult to continue counting calories for the rest of your life. There comes a time when you must be able to survive without your Weight Watchers points manual.

3. Class attendance
    Many dieters obtain great benefits from meeting other dieters and talking through their problems. But some find it less beneficial. Much depends on the personality and experience of the Weight Watchers meeting-organizer. If you are especially sensitive about your weight, it might be best to leave the class before the discussion period, or skip classes altogether and consider joining the Weight Watchers at-home program, instead. (Weight Watchers Online program starts at about $44 for a standard monthly plan.)

4. Cost
    At between $10 and $15 a class, plus a joining fee, this can mount up. Also, in some countries, Weight Watchers operates a policy of charging for 'missed' classes. (In the USA, class membership may lapse after 4 missed classes.) So it's worth checking the details before you start.

5. Weight Watchers have a huge business in branded pre-packaged foods, which can leave you with less food choices.

As you can see, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. You will also notice that the disadvantages are mainly related to cost and expense rather than the safety and ethics of the diet.

More recently Weight Watchers have implemented an on-line program, but I believe that the eDiets program is superior, and more cost effective.

But Weight Watchers is one of the good guys in this industry of pill pushers and unscrupulous "experts." The Online Winning Points Plan does an effective job of teaching portion control and educates the dieter on what nutritional value certain foods have. The program costs around $45 dollars a month, which makes it more expensive than our favorite program eDiets, which shares the basics of WW without the gimmicks and inconvenient counseling sessions. It seems a bit strange that they are not competing at a similar price with the leader of online weight loss, but they must figure on the power of their name.

Taken from: Pros & Cons of Weight Watchers Program

Hope I helped,
    Sarah
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
    A cousin, who has battled weight problems throughout HS, college, and just out of college, has had good success with WW. Lost over 60 lbs so far and has kept the majority of it off for almost a year... meaning she's had no gain back, and most of that weight has been off for a year...

A recent study of diet plans showed no one more effective long term than another... the trick was sticking to the plan. Also, other studies have shown that those who journal about food and exercise lose twice the weight as those who do not keep records or schedules.

So it makes sense that a structured nutrition program can have good results... and that some lose the benefit of the program (gain weight back) when they stop doing those effective tasks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is weight Watchers really for me? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I am 19 years old, 5'7" and probably 170-175 pounds. I have been unsuccessfully trying to lose weight for the past few months, and every time I try I seem to give up. I want to lose weight for the health benefit, and plus I'm tired of looking the way I do. I feel like I always have to...

Losing motivation for weight watchers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been at weight watchers for two years and I have lost a total of 10 pounds, I have lost more but I have put it on again, but I feel like I am wasting money, I think to myself I would rather spend it on weight watchers than buying trash as I call it, but every week starts the same, I start...

Joining Weight Watchers? [ 3 Answers ]

I just had a baby on December 26, 2007, and in a few weeks I will be able to start an exercise program and Diet! Yay! I am 184lbs right now and I am only 5'3" so you know I look like crap. I want to get to 130lbs which is what I was before I had my two sons. Anyway, my questions is has anyone...

Weight watchers or Jenny Craig? [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking into both weight watchers and Jenny Craig, and I was just wondering if anyone has tried either one or both? And which one is better, and easier to stick with. Thanks guys!

Weight Watchers? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I am a seventeen year old female and I am 5'3 and around 170 pounds. I have recently been trying to get into shape and lose some weight. I have been doing okay, I eat well and I exercise often. My mom suggested I try Weight Watchers, because she thinks it is the best way. Of course, my Mom...

View more questions Search