Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpalmer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Installing a water softner slab
    I am considering installing a water softener for my home which is on a slab. Is it likely that the main comes to an accessible location within the house (i.e. to the hot water heater) before going to the other locations, or is it likely that from the meter or in the yard there is a tee with one leg to the hot water heater and the other to the fixtures in the house starting with the outside faucet located near the front entrance?

Thanks,

Brian
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2007, 03:49 PM
    If I understand your question the softener should install after the service enters the house and before it connects to anything else. There should be no tee in the yard any branches will be inside the house.. Your water service should come direct from the meter to the house. Do you need a diagram on installing a softener bypass if yours doesn't have one on the unit? Good luck, Tom

Jul 28, 2007, 06:45 PM
    I am trying to locate the main supply line to my house so that I can install the softener as you have stated. However, I am not sure where the main enters my home as the only visible pipes are those coming out of the wall directly behind my hot water heater (the supply and return lines). The meter is on the opposite side of the yard (i.e. hot water heater in the garage on the left, meter on the curb on the right). Is it likely that there is a manifold in the wall behind my water heater where the main supply (between the house and the meter) comes in? Is there any way to tell without removing dry wall?

Thanks!

-Brian
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Only if you home is just a couple of years old would I think that you would have a manifold system, That has only been in use the last few years, or in the state of Texas anyway.
    My thought is that you have a system that feeds off to other fixtures before it gets to the water heater, so if you put the softener by the water heater then all of those branches would not have soft water.
    Now about finding the main and where it enters your house. If you have a PVC service, which has been used for many years you may have a copper wire laid in the same trench that the pipe is in, this is there just for the purpose that you need. They can connect a meter on to the wire and follow it down where the ditch was.

Jul 28, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Thanks for the help guys! My house was built in 2001. Would I be chasing a rabbit to rely on a metal detector for finding the most probable route from the meter into my home? If it is like you say (letmetellu) then I will likely need to get a plumber as tapping into the main somewhere in the yard and running it into the garage (for the softner; the wife won't let me put it in the dining room) then back out to continue its route sounds like a mess (again, I'm on a slab). I would really like to do this job myself!

-Brian
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 09:05 PM
    If you do like you say and hire a plumber and run around the house to get soft water remember that you will have to put faucets out doors at locations that you want them before it gets to the softener so they will be on unsoftened water. Also remember that the faucets that you have no on the out side will be soft water.
    It way I have installed piping on a slab when I needed to was to use a large hammer drill with a bit large enough to put the size pipe you need through it. I drill the hole at an angle starting inside the house, next to a outside wall, I aim to make the hole exit the foundation at least 12 inches under ground on the outside. That may not be below your frost line but at least it is down under the ground and then you may have to build up the level of the ground over the pipes to keep them from freezing. If you live in Florida you don't have that problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piping Configuaration For Water Softner [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, I recently purchased a single unit water softener. I have it set on the hardest water setting it has, but my water is not any softer than before I purchased it. I am wonder it if may be my piping configuration. The line going into the softener is connected to the main line...

Water softner drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a kenmore water softner and need to hook up the drain connection and overflow. Next to the softner is a 2" pvc pipe coming from my kitchen sink. This pipe goes directly into the house sewer connection. Is it OK to hook the softner drain and overflow directly into the pipe coming...

Water Softner not Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore(sears) water softner that is about 7 years old. Over the past year it has been acting up and will not provide soft water. Lately it has been so bad that when you shower it feels like it stips all the oil from your skin. As before I looked into the softner and it is 3/4 full of...

Water softner not softening [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a water softener question. I have a two piece water softener (one for salt storage, the other with the beads in it). I recently cleaned out my salt storage tank since it was empty. I did this by removing the valve/float assembly that runs down the hollow tube, took the salt...

Water Softner Problems [ 11 Answers ]

I recently installed all new plumbing with all new drain lines. The previous owner put a new kenmore water softner 3 years ago. It works every now and then. The water smells bad and I know that it has something to with the water softner. Lets put it this way... I bought the house 1 year ago and...

View more questions Search