Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookpaintingllc Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Water Softner not Draining
    I have a Kenmore(sears) water softner that is about 7 years old. Over the past year it has been acting up and will not provide soft water. Lately it has been so bad that when you shower it feels like it stips all the oil from your skin. As before I looked into the softner and it is 3/4 full of water. Should I shut the bypass and let it run to drain water?? HELP:eek: :eek:
    JMBat14 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
    If you shut the bypass if will not drain the water out of the brine tank when you run it. I believe the problem is that the venturi valve is either pluged and it is allowing water into the tank, but not sucking the brine water back into the valve assembly. There is a diagram in the owners manuel that shows how to clean the venturi . It is easy to do and takes about 2 minutes to do, just make sure you reassemble it in the same order
    cookpaintingllc Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Thanks. I will try that today and I might have a salt blockage in the bottom that might be causing that ploblem as well. The base is hard as a rock about 8in from that bottom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softner not softening [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a water softener question. I have a two piece water softener (one for salt storage, the other with the beads in it). I recently cleaned out my salt storage tank since it was empty. I did this by removing the valve/float assembly that runs down the hollow tube, took the salt...

Draining a hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gas rheem hot water heater, that I don't know how old it is. It was in the house when I bought it 6 years ago. It looks OK and is in my storage shed. I was thinking about draining it (it does make some noise when it is heating) I am afraid I am opening a can of worms. I am not a plumber,...

Water Softner Problems [ 11 Answers ]

I recently installed all new plumbing with all new drain lines. The previous owner put a new kenmore water softner 3 years ago. It works every now and then. The water smells bad and I know that it has something to with the water softner. Lets put it this way... I bought the house 1 year ago and...

Draining a hot water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any merit to draining/flushing a hot water heater at certain intervals to purge it of solids such as minerals to extend its life or otherwise cut down on the amount of corrosion?

Draining water lines before soldering [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently putting a bathroom in my basement. I'm ready to tie into my existing water lines. I need to know if I need to shut off and empty my water heat in order to drain the water out of the lines. The water heater is in the basement and would be lower than any faucet. I would prefer not to...

View more questions Search