Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gary31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Water softner drain
    I am installing a kenmore water softner and need to hook up the drain connection and overflow. Next to the softner is a 2" pvc pipe coming from my kitchen sink. This pipe goes directly into the house sewer connection. Is it OK to hook the softner drain and overflow directly into the pipe coming frim the kitchen sink. I am concerned about sewer gases, etc. If is not OK do you have any suggestions?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Pipe it separately to the outside.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 11:57 AM
    I don't know what code says, likely I am grandfathered. Better find out for a new installation. My water softener is next to the washer and drains into its stand pipe and then to the septic tank. It has been that way since the house was built in 1970, and I never saw a problem. I do have the overflow piped separately to an outside area where I don't try to grow anything. If the softener is in the basement, running the over flow outside will be tough.

The washer standpipe provides the trap and vacuum break needed between the water softener and the sewer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Softner not Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore(sears) water softner that is about 7 years old. Over the past year it has been acting up and will not provide soft water. Lately it has been so bad that when you shower it feels like it stips all the oil from your skin. As before I looked into the softner and it is 3/4 full of...

Water softner not softening [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a water softener question. I have a two piece water softener (one for salt storage, the other with the beads in it). I recently cleaned out my salt storage tank since it was empty. I did this by removing the valve/float assembly that runs down the hollow tube, took the salt...

Water through shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

Heard some noise in my master bath, looked and saw waste water coming up through shower drain. We plunged it and it went away. Possible causes? Septic tank was just emptied in May. Thanks

Water Softner Problems [ 11 Answers ]

I recently installed all new plumbing with all new drain lines. The previous owner put a new kenmore water softner 3 years ago. It works every now and then. The water smells bad and I know that it has something to with the water softner. Lets put it this way... I bought the house 1 year ago and...

View more questions Search