Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfitz40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Piping Configuaration For Water Softner
    :confused: Hello,

I recently purchased a single unit water softener. I have it set on the hardest water setting it has, but my water is not any softer than before I purchased it. I am wonder it if may be my piping configuration. The line going into the softener is connected to the main line of the house with a "T" connection and the water coming out is connected to the cold side of the water heater with a "T" connection as well. I am wondering if I should have not used those "T" connections, because it may not be filtering all the water through the water softener. FYI. I have a house built on a slab. Thanks in advance for your help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Your Tee off the main is fine but the Tee at the heater is wrong. That should be a straight connection, no Tee. Where does the water go from the Tee other than the heater? I would have also installed a bi pass manifold above the softner. Its an H shaped connection with three valves that also you to by pass the softner if you need to repair or disconnect. However the missing manifold did not creat your problem. Please get back to me with your answer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 21, 2007, 01:17 PM
    I have put up a rough drawing of how a water softener should be hooked up,(see image). To operate correctly valves#1 and#3 should be open and valve#2 should be closed. To service the softener and bypass it valves #1 and #3 should be closed and valve #2 should be opened allowing the water to bypass the softener. There isn't any other way to install a water softener so if you just cut the tees in to the cold water main and didn't cut the line between the two tees then all you have is a pressured storage tank.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softner drain [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a kenmore water softner and need to hook up the drain connection and overflow. Next to the softner is a 2" pvc pipe coming from my kitchen sink. This pipe goes directly into the house sewer connection. Is it OK to hook the softner drain and overflow directly into the pipe coming...

Water Softner not Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore(sears) water softner that is about 7 years old. Over the past year it has been acting up and will not provide soft water. Lately it has been so bad that when you shower it feels like it stips all the oil from your skin. As before I looked into the softner and it is 3/4 full of...

Water softner not softening [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a water softener question. I have a two piece water softener (one for salt storage, the other with the beads in it). I recently cleaned out my salt storage tank since it was empty. I did this by removing the valve/float assembly that runs down the hollow tube, took the salt...

Water Softner Problems [ 11 Answers ]

I recently installed all new plumbing with all new drain lines. The previous owner put a new kenmore water softner 3 years ago. It works every now and then. The water smells bad and I know that it has something to with the water softner. Lets put it this way... I bought the house 1 year ago and...

View more questions Search