Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Taxes (
-   -   Splitting the W2 amounts for Dual-status return (

  • Feb 24, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Splitting the W2 amounts for Dual-status return

    I'm from India and was on F1 OPT status for first six months of 2006 and then on H1B visa for the remaining six months. My wages and federal taxes are mentioned in W2 as $36964 and federal taxes $4894.
    The wages in my F1 OPT status are $10639 and the federal tax is $1170.
    Do I have to report only $10639 in 1040NR EZ wages field or mention the amounts as in
    W2 ? If so, do I have to split the federal taxes also?
    I'm confused as to how to report the wages and taxes in 1040NR EZ and 1040. Do I have to split the wages and tax amounts and report them according to the residency status in both the forms?

  • Feb 25, 2007, 12:05 AM
    No, you report ALL the money reported in Box #1. If you are filing a dual-status return, ALL of the money is reported and taxed on Form 1040. The money reported on Form 1040NR is for information purposes only.

    If you need my professional help, contact me at

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 PM.