Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Staper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Home outside of US - mortgage interest
    I have home and home loan outside of US.
    Can I write off the tax for this loan?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 07:44 PM
    If you meet the normal requirements for deducting mortgage interest, then the fact that the home is outside the U.S. will not cause the mortgage interest to be disallowed. If you are resident in the U.S. then the interest expense will be treated as U.S. source interest and you are required to withhold 30% (or lower treaty rate) of the interest payments to the foreign person.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Agreed.
    Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Glad you agree.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 01:16 PM
    IT:

I put AGREED on it to mark that I have read the posting. Due to heavy tax workload, I often go several days without accessing this forum, and am often dozens if not hundred of posting behind.

I have to look at every one, and it's hard to remember which is which if I do not make the forum mark it for me.
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 02:21 PM
    I too am busy. I receive an email every time you reply to my postings. Respectfully, I would prefer that you not respond to my posts unless you have something meaningful to add.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Okay!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage Interest [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I purchased our first place this past year. He has been paying the mortgage and real estate taxes so he was going to claim them on his taxes this year since we are not married yet. Well, I just printed our mortgage interest statement out through our lender. I am listed as the primary...

Home Mortgage & Reasl Estate - Interest on Escrow [ 2 Answers ]

While paying Home Mortgage and Real Estate taxes to Financial Institutions, we are getting interest from the institution (interest on Escrow). Can you tell me actual concepts or meaning of interest on escrow and taxability? Thanks, Syed Thameem

Mortgage interest [ 1 Answers ]

I got divorced in June 2006 and had a house that both my ex and I paid mortgage interest on. My ex bought me out of the house. Am I entitled to deduct part of the mortgage interest I paid from January to June 2006?

Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone claim your mortgage interest on their tax?

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

View more questions Search