Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Taxes (
-   -   How to file TAX returns without spouse's SSN/ITIN (

  • Mar 15, 2011, 10:43 AM
    How to file TAX returns without spouse's SSN/ITIN

    I have travelled alone to US for 3 months on work permit and my wife was in home country (India) and she is not having the SSN/ITIN number.
    Now when I trying to file his Tax returns using TurboTax/TaxAct, it is also asking for his wife's SSN.
    Note: Taxable Marital status mentioned on W2 is MARRIED
    Can anyone help me on this, how to proceed without spouse's SSN/ITIN.

    Thanks in advance...
  • Mar 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Here is the link that explains it. There is a form you have to fill out to get a number for her., id=96287,00.html

  • Mar 16, 2011, 02:28 AM

    You are trying to file resident tax return. You may be required to file nonresident tax return. Use Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ. This can not be efiled.
    Your visa? When did you enter US and leave US?

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 AM.