Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (
-   Taxes (
-   -   Change from F1 to Green CArd (

  • Apr 7, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Change from F1 to Green CArd
    During 2004 I have changed my status from F1 to resident , because I had won the Visa Lotery.
    Since I cannot use the standard deduction, I was wondering If I can deduct the expenses I made to get the Gc? (the interview was abroad, so I had to fly , plus the fee itself. )
    Can somebody help me ?
    Thanks a lot.
  • Apr 7, 2005, 07:09 PM
    Short answer: Yes, I think you can claim those expenses.

    Long Answer: You may be considered dual-status; depends on when the Green Card became effective. Also, what country are you from? Certain countries (like India) can claim the Standard Deduction even when under dual status.
  • Apr 9, 2005, 09:05 AM
    Thank you for replying.
    I am not from India ;I am from Romania. Since the GC became effective in Feb 2004 I think I am a dual-status resident.
    Should I deduct the Gc expenses as moving expenses? It is kind of weird, cause I was a student in States already when I got the Gc, but I had to travel to Romania and back to get the GC
    Thanks a lot ,
  • Apr 9, 2005, 12:05 PM

    I believe you are a dual-status alien, which means you have to file Form 1040, with Form 1040NR attached as a statement. Refer to Chapter 6, IRS Pub 519 for details.

    You can claim the expenses as itemized expenses associated with your job. Claiming the expenses as moving expenses is not a good idea because it appears that you did not change physical location in the United States.

  • All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 PM.