Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frmuhl69 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Twin Ell Replacement
    Hello... I am having problems with an old twin ell valve. I believe it is an American Standard. It work OK when running the water through the tub spout. However, when I pull up on the spout diverter to run the water through the shower head, a small leak starts. It is difficult to see exactly where it is leaking, but I believe it is around the corner of the water inlet and the spout outlet. Maybe a crack or something, cannot really tell? I was wondering if it would be easier to get a new one of these or just take it out and repipe it with a Tee and a 90 degree elbow connected to it?

What is the difference between this twin ell valve and the tee and 90 degree elbow combination?

Thanks,
    Frank
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2007, 04:17 PM
    A twin ell is built in a manner that when you are only using the tub filler part of the tub faucet the water traveling through the twin ell hits a baffle that more or less forces the water to go down and out the tub spout, otherwise you would have a dribble of water coming out of the shower head all of the time that you are filling the tub.

Now about the leak that you have. It is very unusual for the twin ell to have any problem because it is brass, what are the pipes made of that go from the twin ell up to the opening that comes out of the faucet body. Also what is the pipe made of that goes to the spout and also the shower head from the twin ell. If these are galvanize pipe it could be that the leak is in the galvanize if that is what they are.

Let me know what you find out.
    frmuhl69 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Pipes coming in from the faucet and going out to the spout are galvanize. Pipe going up to the shower head is copper...
    werwrew Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jul 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
    We have the very same problem with the twin ell. It is leaking (seeping) water through the brass . It is a brand new grohe twin ell and this is a second one that we are trying with the same leaking. It is only a drop of water when the shower head is on but nevertheless , it is leaking. This is frustratiing and if the experts in this post don't know about such instances, then your not paying close attention to your plumbing before you cover the wall. Because brass twin ells (even new) may leak.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 05:40 AM
    Werwrew

I understand you are frustrated but to attack anyone (expert or not) by making a foolish statement like, "and if the experts in this post dont know about such instances, then your not paying close attention to your plumbing before you cover the wall" is not something that is likely to go over super well here, OK?

If you are unhappy, contact Grohe and place the blame where it belongs, but take your frustrations out elsewhere as we don't appreciate you dropping your baggage on us!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears belt replacement VYT4000 21V-Twin 42" [ 1 Answers ]

Need information to replace the belt on Craftsman Riding Lawnmower. It is the Bob Villa Signature Series model #917.274033. Thanks for your help.

Shower pipe broke off in drop eared ell [ 4 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how the get the threads out of the ell? I was investigating a leaky shower head and it ended up being the pipe and ell. The pipe had a break near the ell and while trying to remove it, it broke off. Thanks

Twin hard drives [ 2 Answers ]

Hi does anyone know why a certain company that makes laptop PCs oftern gives you 2 hard drives and what they are for... Sorry to ask Twin hard drive on a laptop known as (C) and (D) Storage areas I can't seem to get anything to go on the (D) drive evrything seems to inssist on being...

Briggs 18 twin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MG Ward 18/42 Briggs twin, Having oil seeping from what appears to be the left cylinder base. Is the Jug removable or cast into the main block. Cylinder head looks easy enough to remove but the problem appears low end. Thanks rirog

Every one has a twin [ 17 Answers ]

Well, guys and gals, we have all heard that everyone has a twin somewhere in this world. Well, my daughter found hers in 3rd grade and they have been best friends ever since. My husband could not even tell them apart for a brief moment after he met the twin. Their third grade teacher had to put...

View more questions Search