Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hameeda Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2005, 12:24 AM
    Sience qustion
    What happens in the reaction of heating iron and sulpher togather??
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
    On heating the reaction mixture, the sulfur melts and reacts with the iron exothermically to form iron(II) sulfide. The mineral wool plug in the mouth of the test-tube prevents sulfur vapour escaping and possibly catching fire. If, despite all precautions, the sulfur vapour does ignite, students must be trained to extinguish it by placing a damp rag firmly over the mouth of the tube.

The signs that a chemical reaction occurs are: the glow, and the fact that a new substance (black iron sulfide) is formed which cannot be separated by using a magnet.
    Source

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equation:reaction between iron(II) solution, conc sulphuric acid and bicarbonate [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone give me the equation for the following please? 25 ml of iron(II) solution were pipetted into a conical flask, 5 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid were added and 1g of bicarbonate was added rapidly. What reacts with what and can you give me the equations associated with thereactions...

Rates of chemical reaction:a clock reaction? [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose you were dissolving a metal such as zinc with hydrochloric acid.how would the particle size of the zinc affect the rat eof its dissolution?

Reaction Kinetics: Orders of Reaction. [ 2 Answers ]

I don't mean to be anal about this but I've recently stumbled upon this topic over the holidays and I'm thoroughly interested. What I fail to understand is Order's of Reactions with respect to & . Can someone give me a well concise explanation of this with a good example, say the decomposition...

Iron Heating Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

My house is about 38 yrs old and my hot water baseboard heating system was installed with iron pipes instead of copper. I was told by Doc Harrison a system like mine has very little fresh water added to it once in service, and the constant heating and cooling of the water drives most of the air...

View more questions Search