Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlusher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Wiring in a brick wall?
    I am going to be adding outlets to walls that are brick covered in plaster. I know that I can remove the plaster and "carve" into the brick to add the outlets. What do I use to cut into the brick? What kind of wire do I need to use in this wall so that it is safe to recover it with bonding agent and plaster? Also, should I have two circuit boxes? The house is being split for the furnace and central air to minimize demolition and maximize efficiency (one in attic for second floor, one in basement for first floor), would it be easier to wire the second floor from the attic and the first floor from the basement as well? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!:)

Tara
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
    This is for brick. Block not much different.
    I would use carbide bit at high? Speed, Mark where you need to remove, drill small holes in a row, and then at a angle, Die Grinder will help, but usually can't get in the corners.

If it is on block wall, and for outside, I would look for recpticle in house to do back to back.
    To do that:
    Dissassemble inside recpticle, remove center knockout.
    Drill straight through knockout, Plumb and perpendicular and center of hole with 12" bit.
    Go outside, locate hole, hit with hammer, until head goes inside.
    Take a 180 Box(Box for single device), and knock out center knockout.
    Now, outside with 180 box and piece of EMT(pipe), insert pipe through box(opening towards wall), through wall and into inside box knockout. Secure Live Wires from shock.
    Get pipe perpendicular, and Mark box opening.
    When box will fit in opening flush, take pipe with emt connector on end(no locknut)
    From outside, insert emt connector to position, slide box over and slide to flush, mark pipe,
    Take off a little extra for the connector. You will see how much.

Upstairs from above, and downstairs from below good way. If there is a place near panel,
    Or a closet you can get wiring through, to connect the floors, may help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing adhesive on brick wall [ 4 Answers ]

I had a volunteer mount a metal plaque on a brick wall in an outside courtyard a couple of days ago. I went and looked to be sure the work was done, and found that the plaque is where it should be on the brick wall, but there is a yellow contact adhesive dripping from the plaque down the brick...

Lack of money, lack of job, banging my head against a brick wall it seems. [ 8 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for over 6 months now and I need for it to end... ive not done anything and neither has he, but I am finding it very hard to get a job, the last job I had six months ago was temp,they let me go after a month being there. I have been trying hard to get work, as of yet its...

Fake Brick on kitchen wall [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove fake brick off a wall, if we remove it will it take off the plaster? Maybe it would be better just to paint it?

Running wiring on external wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Victorian home which has had the wiring partially updated (previous owners). I would like to add new wiring to the 2nd and 3rd floor, but would like to run it on the outside wall. My plan was install PCV conduit (tube) near the panel in the basement through the wall and up...

View more questions Search