Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boomstick420 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 03:33 PM
    Installing win95 on a re-formatted HD
    Ok, so here's the problem:
    I just got an HD from a friend, it's an OLD one and I just completely reformatted it. I want to install Windows 95 on it, I have the disk and everything, but I can't install because it says it can't install under NT (I have XP). I want to install 95 on the HD I just got, without screwing up XP on the other one. Anybody know what I can do?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 24, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Try using a Windows 95 boot diskette (http://www.nerdlabs.org/bootdisks/index.php). Boot from the diskette with CDROM support and go from there.
    boomstick420 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the help, I'll try that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2005, 05:47 AM
    Win 95 (in fact all Win 9x versions) Require that they be installed on the C drive. Also, if the disk you have is a full version it probably requires a bare (unformatted) drive to install onto.

If you are trying to install Win 95 on this drive in a machine that currently has Win XP installed, you will most likely screw up XP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formatted C and now no signal! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi The problem probably begins with the fact that I am no PC guru but I already know that (and you will to after reading this) so here's what happened... I wanted to reinstall Windows XP so stupidly I thought why not format my C - that has the OS on it - so that all the junk will be cleaned...

Need Help with Win95&98 [ 9 Answers ]

This would help if u worked for Microsoft at the time but I am openfor anything I need to know why when I go to install win95 it works good until after the license agreement is signed then a black screen appears then with win98 after it prepares for setup it goes to ready my floppy drive when I am...

Networking Win95 and Win XP Pro [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to network a win95 computer and a computer running windows xp pro. I have a high speed connection (dsl) and a linksys router. It is not a wireless router. I have a brand new ethernet card on the win 95 computer. I connected the computer on 95 sand the router and the link was detected...

Upgrade to WIN98 from WIN95 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there How do I upgrade from WIN95 to WIN98 using clean Install CD for WIN98 without formating the HDD, if I use WIN98 clean install CD I get message ask me to use upgrate version of WIN98 (I don`t have WIN98 upgrate CD), how do I bypass this message? Regards Nnn22

Properly formatted emails [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, What determines a valid (or invalid) email address? I'm writing a script which can determine whether the formatting is correct or not. For example, you need an "@" sign, a ".", etc. You can't have spaces or backslashes in an email, etc. Does someone have a complete list of rules? ...

View more questions Search