Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mchriste Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Motion Detector to Sprinkler transformer question
    Hi,
    I want to hook a sprinkler valve up to a motion detector.

The motion detector (Heath Zenith SL-5316) will put out "up to" 500W, and 4.2A (120 VAC).

The sprinkler valve (Orbitz 57020) requires 18VAC min, but is spec'd at 24VAC to draw 0.35A when it switches and 0.23A when it is holding.

How close to this actual output current do I need my transformer to be? I'm concerned about the "up to" nature of the motion detector, will I need to put a load resistance somewhere to avoid overloading the sprinkler valve? Is it possible the motion detector will overwhelm the transformer if it doesn't see a high enough load? I'm a bit rusty on transformers...

My application is to scare cranes away from my koi pond by spraying the area with water...

Thanks so much,
    Marc
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 30, 2005, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mchriste
    Hi,
    I want to hook a sprinkler valve up to a motion detector.

The motion detector (Heath Zenith SL-5316) will put out "up to" 500W, and 4.2A (120 VAC).

The sprinkler valve (Orbitz 57020) requires 18VAC min, but is spec'd at 24VAC to draw 0.35A when it switches and 0.23A when it is holding.

How close to this actual output current do I need my transformer to be? I'm concerned about the "up to" nature of the motion detector, will I need to put a load resistance somewhere to avoid overloading the sprinkler valve? Is it possible the motion detector will overwhelm the transformer if it doesn't see a high enough load? I'm a bit rusty on transformers....

My application is to scare cranes away from my koi pond by spraying the area with water...

Thanks so much,
    Marc
    the motion detector won't do damage to the transformer( too big of transformer will damage detector)... get transformer with a10- 18 W supply... that valve take about 8.5 w
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 30, 2005, 08:43 PM
    No matter how big of a transformer you put in, it will only draw the power the valve draws plus its winding resistance. So the common cheap furnace or Radio Shack 24 volt transformers should work fine.

Hope it works, those cranes can make a mess.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Not sure if I understand This detector,
    I would wire like this:
    Switched leg from detector to one side of transformer(line side), other wire, line side
    Of transformer to neutral. Secondary side of transformer to valve(both wires)
    Transformer will not have increased load. And detector can easily handle load of little
    24 volt transformer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Sprinkler pump [ 4 Answers ]

My sprinkler pump works fine I have good pressure but the pump makes a loud screaming sound. I think my neighbors are upset with me. How can I fix the problem?

Simple Rotational motion question [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting help from sparknotes.com and I've come across an example that has stumped me. The page is at http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter10section4.rhtml I'm at example 2 (toward the bottom of the page). The problem comes when they use Newton's second law...

Sprinkler System [ 3 Answers ]

My sprinkler system here in SW Florida is two years old. There are 5 programmable zones. However, lately whenever zones 1, 2, 3 or 4 are programmed ON, Zone 5 comes on (sympathetically?). An irrigation company has come 3 times to make repairs, but has been unsuccessful each time. They gave up and...

View more questions Search