Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Jun 4, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Remove mortar stains
    What's the best method for removing mortar stains from faux rockwork? The mortar is about a week old and there is a residue that covers the rock and prevents it from matching the surrounding rockwork surfaces.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
    First try something not too strong like spaying with 50/50 vinegar and water and allow to soak. If its outside power wash from about 12" away. If it doesn't work try staright vinegar before we move to diluted muratic acid.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Diluted muratic acid, it will eat the rock right off your mortar lol
    Wear some gloves and safety googles.

Jun 4, 2007, 06:47 PM
    I'm a little hesitant to use muriatic acid... it IS faux rock.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 4, 2007, 07:19 PM
    You May Try A Course Scrubbing Brush And Use Something A little Less Toxic

Jun 8, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I ended up using an architectural concrete cleaner/brightener. After I got to the job and read the label further... I realized that I had spent $20 on a dilute muriatic acid. It worked pretty well, though. For some reason it bleached the grout somewhat but I ended up with a satisfied customer. Now... if I could only get paid for the job. It was one of those darned "escrow" jobs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove mildew stains on teak furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this question should go in the furniture section but since this pertains to outdoor furniture, I hope it's okay here. After storing our teak furniture outdoors (under a cover) over the winter, we were horrified to find yesterday that there were mildew stains all over our table and...

Easiest effective way to remove stains? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I have some staining on my teeth. I would like to do the least amount of work to get rid of them. I would also like to not use something unhealthful if possible. Something I can buy over the counter. Rembrandt? Crest strips? Other? What really works and what is the easiest?

Mortar removal [ 2 Answers ]

Hot to remove soap dish holder affixed to tile with morter

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

View more questions Search