bl7045 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2007, 12:37 PM
    What does reduce to au sec mean!
    Its in a recipe I'm making

Thanks
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Au sec translated is to almost dry in other words reduce the liquid right down
    culinarystudent Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
    That's not entirely true, it means to reduce stock/liquid to 1/4 original volume
    CarbonCopy Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2010, 10:51 PM

No, it literally means "just dry."

You reduce the liquid until it is just about to go dry in the pan, but before it starts to burn.

Reducing to 1/4 of the original volume is a standard reduction process, not an Au Sec reduction. This is a very specific distinction to the 1/4 rule of a standard reduction.

Whoever told "culinarystudent" it was to 1/4 of the original volume would have failed at my school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civic '89 fires up and dies down after 2 sec [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have Hona Civic '89. I had intermittent start up problems on hot weather recently so I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and coil (I think this was the fault) and it worked fine after that. After about three week of good starts now it will fire and engine turn but then dies down after...

F1-social sec [ 1 Answers ]

I have been a student on F1 visa for 5 years. So now legally I can file taxes as a resident alien. Now I am working on my OPT. I am not sure if I have to pay social security and medicare. According to IRS I am exempt till I am a resident alien and as long as I am on F1 I am exempt from the...

Home inspector says SEC is too small. Is it? [ 2 Answers ]

What size SEC is needed for 200A?

Sec slave ATAPI incompatible [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: hi folks this is driving me nuts Gigabyte 6wmm7 motherboard 1x HD 1Xcdrom 512 ram goes through post then stops at this message,"Sec slave ATAPI incompatible" I have no secondary device connected tried changing cdrom to cable select , no joy, can't get into setup even after...

Rental sec and bill lost! [ 5 Answers ]

Was living with a girl and she moved out before the lease was up and I could not afford to keep the rental I put up the security and lost it the every thing was in my name and her name was on the lease can I take her to court for half of the bills and sec from her being that I lost it

View more questions Search