Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

May 18, 2005, 08:39 PM
    Any hints for controlling a control freak?
    Hi -

I work for a person who HAS to be in charge of EVERYTHING - ALL THE TIME! She hires on people who are quite competent to do the work required by the position she wants them to fill, then makes them feel incompetent by insisting on overseeing everything they do. After a point, the employees start to BECOME incompetent because they just get to a point of not caring whether they do the job right or not, and therefore make stupid mistakes,,

For example, I'm the receptionist, and I had been a receptionist at an almost identical practice for 2 years before switching jobs. The office manager who was at the new job when I started gave me two days of "training", in which she basically gave me the rundown of how we do things here, presented me with a packet of written instructions on how to use the operating system (which was exactly the same as the one I had been using at the prior workplace), and then told me "You're on your own". The owner of the company (the afore-mentioned control freak) had supposedly been the one to put together the instruction packet so that the receptionist would be doing exactly what she wanted done - but after almost a full year there, I'm still almost constantly in trouble for doing things the way they're written in the packet instead of the way she just decided it really SHOULD be done.

Suffice to say, we've lost two office managers, three doctors, and five technicians in the single year that I've been at the new job - and I'm almost ready to change jobs again because the owner is making me crazy! I want to tell her the truth - that I'm starting to look for another job and why - but am afraid that all I would do is piss her off so much that she would take it out on any co-workers I leave behind and not change her attitude even a smidgen!!

Any suggestions on how to get the point across to this woman that she has to learn to trust her "trusted employees" without making her go off the deep end?

Check out some similar questions!

Controlling interest [ 4 Answers ]

Good morning, I have established a corporation as a parent company. What I would like to do is now establish a real estate investing company up under this corporation as an LLC. I intend on going into business with another person who does carpentry type work. If we have a business fall out, with...

Something for the guys... helpful hints... [ 10 Answers ]

This is from a David Deangelo article - lots of guys who come here need this... IS HE RIGHT LADIES>>>>>> "You can't bore a woman into feeling attracted to you..." I realize that this may sound like an obvious statement, but judging by the emails that I get week in and week out, maybe...

I'm a freak overprotective girlfriend [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend who the first 2 years of our relationship treated me bad and lied to me however the last year and 1/2 we have been growing and he has been great however I have a hard time forgeting the past pain and am very overprotective always want to know where he is going... ect. And sometimes...

Controlling the air-waves [ 2 Answers ]

Hey gang, my local radio station in Chicago has this "my shuffle playlist" type of thing going on. Basically if you are picked out of the thousands of people, then your 4-5 songs will be played on the radio. Basically you control what other people will hear for the next 10 minutes or so. If you...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search