Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snowhite77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
    How soon can lawyers sue me
    Hi,
    Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, yesterday I received a call from attorney's office yelling at me that I need to pay the amount of 10,000 dollars by today evening or we will sue the next morning. I explained them that I need at least two weeks time so I can barrow from a friend or family member. But he keeps repeating since u didn't have money all these days and didn't pay how can u come up with that kind of amount of two weeks. Can I pay it off in two weeks? Or can they sue me before that time?
    Thank you
    Snowhite77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Adding on to that, can I work with debt settlement program at this, will they accept the negotitaions?/
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 03:49 AM
    They the lawyer verifiy the debt instead of demanding you pay now.

That would be like me calling you demand you pay me now.

Never listen to anyone on the phone, have the attorney put it in writing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2007, 05:37 AM
    1. First most likely it was not a real attorney but someone from an collection agency lying to you. Since harassment of someone over the phone for collections is illegal, it is obvoius you are dealing with a low level collection agency.

Without other info on the loan it is hard to give specific details, had the Statue of limitation ran out, if so, they now have you on tape most likely confirming you owe the debt, so perhaps it was a debt you no longer could be enforced to pay but now have agreed to pay. A very big trick of some of the collection people.

But they can sue you the first day it is not paid on time, basically, so they could have sued you as soon as you were late if they want to.

As noted, never ever talk to any collection people on the phone, if they yell or curse, for sure hand up. Record them, tell them that you are going to record and do it, that shuts most of them up. And as long as you notify them you are recording it is legal, they can either hang up or know they are being recorded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Since all the lawyers are sleeping [ 7 Answers ]

My original question was not getting any play. So instead I will just say Hello,I am new to this sight and it seems a very comfortable and interesting place to visit. Hope to be of some help and maybe get some in return.speak to you all soon.Steve G:

Diversion and Lawyers for Stealing [ 1 Answers ]

First what does diversion include, how long does it last, what does it consist of, and how much does it cost? (for stealing) Second, is it possible to show up to court without a lawyer and still be okay?:confused:

Bk lawyers [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all: I have a question regarding bankruptsy: I got divorced last September and won a property settlement judgement in the amount of $9000.00 my lawyer garnished her wages and I received 1 payment for $375.00. Then I received a bankruptsy notice that she has filed bankruptsy and she is...

Lawyers offices suing for a creditcard [ 4 Answers ]

hi, I just got a certified letter that a lawyers office is suing me. They are the second person to get this acct. I had originally sent them a letter when I received on from them. That stated I am a stay at home mom with triplets and a six yr old and only have one income that a lump sum was not...

View more questions Search