Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NewCondoOwner Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Concrete subfloor wet from pipe burst - how long will it take to dry
    I live on the top floor condo. A pipe burst on the roof of the building and the water went into my unit. The walls and floor got very wet. The water even went through to the unit below me and got their walls and floors very wet.

A carpet guy came and pulled up my carpet and took out the wet padding. The concrete slab below the padding was very wet (as the water went through to the uit below). The carpet guy put a fan on the concrete floor for about 10 hours with the carpet rolled back. I live in L.A. so it is warm and not too moist in the air. My question is: how long will the concrete take to dry? Is there a way I can tell if it is dry all the way through? The carpet guy wants to relay the carpet but the floor still feels damp to me (maybe it always just feels clammy?)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
    What about the pad? Once that gets wet its 10x harder to dry than the concrete. Your insurance or landlords insurance should cover this type of problem. Have you thought about filing a claim? Wet walls are also bad news if the insulation gets wet. You could develop mold or mildew and once it's there your insurance won't cover it. The concrete should be dry by now but have the carpet guy replace the pad.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 30, 2007, 09:18 PM
    I would think that if the concrete seems to be dry in the corners of the room, chances are it's dry enough to lay the carpet back down (if it's dry, too). The padding that the carpet guy pulled out should really be replaced... it's not very expensive and may be a good time to upgrade to a thicker product. From my experience... and I have been involved in mold remediation projects... if the moisture that made it into the walls (and insulation) is allowed to dry... and it may require some aeration if the amount was significant (ie. Temporary holes through the drywall to allow air flow), mold won't necessary form and if it does... it won't survive or grow when the environment is dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take a concrete floor to dry from broken pipe burst? [ 1 Answers ]

I live on the top floor condo. A pipe burst on the roof of the building and the water went into my unit. The walls and floor got very wet. The water even went through to the unit below me and got their walls and floors very wet. A carpet guy came and pulled up my carpet and took out the wet...

Wet or dry mount preparation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the advantage of using a wet mount preparation instead of a dry mount preparation in the study of living cells? PLEASE HELP!

Subfloor over concrete under shower base? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if it is a good idea to put a subflloor over the basement concrete under the shower base or if I should just use mortar or even PL200 glue.

Drain King/Possibility to burst PVC Pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I have a pool which has 1&3/4" PVC pipe going from the pool (the skimmer) to the pool pump. The pump suctions water in from the pool. Unfortunately, debris (leaves and pine needles and other stuff) has gotten into that line (it is about 30 feet long) and partially clogged the line. Part of...

View more questions Search