Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallyjoware Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Electrical shock
    I just had a new roof & vinyl siding put on my home. The guys doing it got shocked while on the aluminum ladder which was leaning on the gutter. Got any ideas why?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 29, 2007, 01:21 PM
    You didn't have it grounded. They should have known how to deal with it. But, funny thing is, aluminum isn't a conductor.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Tickle, you are wrong on so many levels. Aluminum is most certainly a conductor, a very good one at that. Gutters don't get grounded because they aren't supposed to have power reaching them. Now where is that juice coming from? Could be several things all of which are wrong. Maybe your power line feeding the house is shorting but I doubt that. Maybe a nail has pierced a cable on the neutral side/ You should get an electrician to do some tests if you aren't up to it. He can measure the voltage and narrow down the source to maybe one particular circuit in the house.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 02:12 PM
    I think I may have seen aluminum used as a conductor, Not one I like.
    About the shocking. With info provided, I suspect
    The gutter is live,( Nail pierced conductor, or wiring)

If so, Find tester to show gutter live. Turn breakers off one by one to determine circuit.
    Then see if turning light switch off eleminates, if it does, nail went through switch leg.

If gutter not live for test, turn on lights.
    Hopefully? You only need to replace switch leg.
    If they were using tools or had ladder on wire, I will give different answer.
    Any more info?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shock collars,are they very good. [ 8 Answers ]

My Wife is most likely going to get one for our 11 week old great dane. This puppy is a monster he is getting a little better but not much.

Floor lamp gives me a shock [ 2 Answers ]

Metal lamp sits on a cement floor. Its two prong and plugs into A strip outlet by the computer that is three prong. If I'm barefooted and touch any part of the metal lamp I get a shock. I'm wondering if I should use a three prong adapter. If that would help??

Protecting flash drive: Strength or Shock Absorption? [ 6 Answers ]

Years ago, after I'd ruined a cheap plastic flash drives because of rough treatment on my keychain (getting dropped, etc.) I went to Cruzer Titanium (encased in titanium) after seeing a PC Mag review where they threw it down, stomped on it, drove over it, etc... Now I see a rubber encased one...

Culture shock/homesickness/love trouble/just being a teenager [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not entirely sure this is in the right section, but I'll try anyway. I'm currently an exchange student in the US and I've been here for about 8 months now. I'm a senior in high school, and involved mostly in choir and drama things. My host family consists of a mom, who's a teacher, a dad...

Sugar shock [ 2 Answers ]

I have a long coat chihuahua named Louie. He is just 10 weeks old an such a sweetheart. But he has a problem with low blood sugar. I took him to the vet because he had suddenly become sick overnight. He was perfecty fine and playful before bed and in the morning he could not lift his head. The...

View more questions Search