Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toddw38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 11:02 AM
    My shower drain stinks!
    I have a very bad smell coming from my shower drain - how can I get it to go away?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 11:38 AM
    I would try Bleach. However, Your trap(Holds water,blocks sewer gas)
    It may have evaporated because of not used, Run water for 20 seconds should easily fill trap.
    Or Trap has leak. Water leaks out, gas in.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 29, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Most bad oders in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Remove the two screws holding the strainer. (TIP; put the screws in the soap dish before they get lost down the drain.) Shine a light down there and with a bent coathanger fish out any hair that may be hiding down there. Then pour a 1/2 gal. of bleach down into the trap and let it set over night. Next morning flush the mess down with 2 latge pans of boiling water, (this is important). The bleach will desolve the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and get the mess out of your drain. Smell better now? Cheers TOM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing shower drain for shower pan replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of removing an existing shower tray. I am having difficulty in removing the drain. It does not appear to screw in. I have access to from below if I need to cut pvc pipe. This appears to be the only thing keeping my tray in place at this time.

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search