Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itcoordinator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Salaried employee on call 7/365
    I work in Texas, am salaried, and am on call 7 nights a week without compensation. How legal is that?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 11:02 AM
    What type of work are you doing, not that it matters, just curious?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
    I know a few people in this same type of situation, they have to work holidays, almost every weekend, and they get nothing extra. I don't think it's against the law, but I'm not sure. I think maybe you should take this matter to your boss and maybe request a raise if the salary you are getting now doesn't cover your time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Yes this is very normal, Now some states have a min salary to be considered actual salary ( in TN it is about 28,000) But yes basically they can make you 24/7

So that is why of course many people actually make more money on hourly than salary people if they work a lot of hours.

And of you don't like your pay, you can of course ask for more, or quit.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 28, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Certain employees are classified exempt, usually salaried employees. So yes, you can be required to be on call seven days a week and 365 days a year. If you have some serious questions about this, contact the EEOC: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

EEOC's customer service representatives are available to assist you in more than 150 languages between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. An automated system with answers to frequently asked questions is available on a 24-hour basis. You can reach EEOC:

By phone:
    1-800-669-4000

If you have a TTY device for hearing impaired:
    TTY number is 1-800-669-6820
    By Email:
    Please include your zip code and/or city and state so that your email will be sent to the appropriate office.
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Investment for Salaried Peoples [ 1 Answers ]

What are the best investment methods/plans for a salaried person?

Salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted a salaried position with a six day work week. Although I am employed by the same owner as other managers, I am the only Manager working at a retail store. The other Managers work in the Corporate Office, unrelated to my position. All Managers are required to work 6 days but...

365 days [ 1 Answers ]

A company is staying in a motel/hotel for 365 days. Different people stay daily #1 is the company tax exempt after (1) year stay and #2 Would this mean the company has established residency at the motel/hotel?

I am salaried [ 2 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee, which has worked for a compamy for 6 months. I work 45 hours a week and I do not get overtime or holiday pay. Is that legal?

View more questions Search