Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traka Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2005, 08:10 AM
    Which version of BASIC
    I have a program developed for me, based from XL for it's repetitious formulae functions when macro's are no longer practical. In other words, where XL can no longer be a pratical option, the same work is made into a program.

I am no programmer, but the layman's "blueprint" was presented to a programmer, he made the program and uses some form of "user friendly" BASIC for scripting, I believe it's is termed sub routine.
    I am not sure.
    But there is now no support from this programmer due to personal life changes.
    The program works fine, there is no problem, but it's potential is now limited due to the fact there is no support to the BASIC language script coding.

I have searched for similarities, such as REALbasic, PowerBasic and many other forms of "BASIC", but each of these forums only recognise the BASIC they are associated with.

How then can I tell which BASIC is being used in my program for the sub routines, so I can move to there and tap into the existing potential with my bookeeping program ?

Keep in mind, there is no support whatsoever from the programmer, but he did say during devlopment that the BASIC he has chosen for the scripts is learnable.

I can post some of the code here, in case anyone here can recognise what it is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2005, 01:13 PM
    BASIC is BASIC. It's a standard language. There are two things that make for different basic dialects; the intepreter and the dialect itself.

BASIC is an interpreted language that reads each line of code and acts on ot. The tool that reads this is the BASIC interpreter. A standard interpreter used to come with DOS. I don't know if that is true with Windows, I don't think so.

Each BASIC intepretor may also have its only particular dialect. Meaning it may have some different commands or functions that are not standard.

May 11, 2005, 05:40 PM
    Each BASIC intepretor may also have its only particular dialect. Meaning it may have some different commands or functions that are not standard.
    That nails it, that's why I cannot make it compile when I try to do extra with the current code setup. I have asked some local friends with some programming expirience and they could not make any sense of it either.
    So in my own terminology, the code is unique to it's own purpose.

And yes, the "interpreter" as you mention is probably there to, but that is part of the mainframe as I call it, the program itself where the raw data feeds in, the database for that raw data and other various 3rd party programs to make one complete system, or a "bot" as some would have it called.

OK,
    What should I do next to learn how this code is suppose to compile in the editor section when something is altered ? Because after something new is written with the code, it has a button in the editor section that has to show "Compiled OK" after the Save is clicked.
    If it does not compile, it shows the error message and where the error is at.
    "Line 35 syntax error", for example.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2005, 06:45 AM
    As I said, Basic is an INTERPETED langugae, not a compiled one. A compiled language uses a compiler specific to that language and dialect, to convert the code to a stand alone executable file.

If you have a compiler, then its specific to that enhanced form of basic. You need to determine what that is and where to learn its specifics.

May 12, 2005, 07:05 AM
    The whole boot-kaboot is in one program.
    Yes you are correct, the compiler, the editor the whole package is one standalone program. The BASIC section is where me, as a client/s are suppose to work with the programs other functions and whatever 3rd party software is installed as plug-in's
    It should be able to send SMS's if one knew how the code tells the mainframe to send the SMS !

I'll have to send you a PM because the rest is sort of "legal" and I am under a contract binding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Techno version of: [ 3 Answers ]

The roof is on fire, or fire water burn. The techno version. Anyone?

Works Calendar Version 7 [ 2 Answers ]

What is the file name in which Microsoft Works version 7.0 Calendar stores its data. It is NOT the same as lesser or subsequent versions.

Favorite version of Windows [ 9 Answers ]

What's your favorite? A recent poll from Desktop Pipeline Newsletter came up with some interesting results. So I diecided to see what the people here would say. Scott<>

View more questions Search