Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    runtums76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Proving infidelity in a marriage for the purposes of divorce
    Hey there,

My brothers wife left him and for three weeks before she was calling and texting this other guy regularly for 3 weeks (30 text messages a day and late night phone calls for 3 weeks). When confronted, she said she was talking to her sister's boyfriend on someone else's phone. Her whole family backed her up on this claim. They have not been legally separated as of yet. She also claimed she did not even know the guy whose cell phone she was calling (subsequently, she was calling the same guy's office line too at 11pm in the night). Recently, we found a picture of him and her on a "networking" site and he was one of her "friends" on this site.

If my brother gets pictures of them now, and has the cell phone records and the testimony from everyone who asked her about it and her claim that she didn't even know him, it that enough evidence that she was unfaithful before leaving him. And since she is not legally separated from him, does it count as anything ?

She is trying to walk away from all the bills they accrued over their marriage and leave him with all the debt which I find deplorable. She also left him right after she got her citizenship -- so my brother feels entirely used. I don't want her to have the benefit of breaking his heart and ruining him financially as well -- can anyone advise me on this ?

Thanks !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Normally proof of affairs have little bearing in court, most states don't require fault for divorce. And now after they are separated, it really does not matter, proof of the affair while they were still together may have helped some.

And of course she will walk away from the bills, divorce does not take her name off the debts, if she chooses to have her credit ruin there is little any court can do, to make her pay any bills.

Best thing he can do, hire the best, most dirty fighting attorney he can.
    Make sure he has closed any and all joint bank accounts.
    runtums76 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Thank you so much for the advice... it just pains me to see my brother in so much distress. Its sad that people in this world can treat other people with so much carelessness and calousness. Such is life though. I just need to help him move on.

Thankfully he has taken all the precautions about joint bank accounts. Sadly, a lot of their debts carry both their names or just his, so if he stops paying the bills his credit will be ruined.

Thank you so much for your advice... its much appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Yes, the family court just "kills" me, everyone comes in with all their lies, they lie about their income, about their life style, so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about proving infidelity... [ 16 Answers ]

Hi. I have my husband's cell phone records showing that he has been speaking to another woman on a very regular basis. The phone calls are mostly everyday with occasional 2-3 days gaps. The calls are usually no more than 3-4 minutes, with the majority of them being 1-2 minutes. Sometimes there...

Confused about Marriage and Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I had a church wedding in California 13 years ago. Now I want a divorce. However, my husband informed me that we were never legally married because the marriage was never recorded with the county or state recorder's office. I checked with the county recorder and there is not record of our...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage in trust and infidelity [ 16 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married 16 years. A women at his work gave her cell# to him and he in return. They have been talking since June about 7 times I counted. Her doing all the calling my husband only 2 times. I found all of this out when the women called my house August 4th @ 8:00am. I...

Proving infidelity [ 4 Answers ]

I am new here, so I hope I posted this correctly! If you live in a no fault state, what is/are the benefits of proving infidelity prior to separation? I am debating on hiring a P. investigator, but if it won't matter, why waste the money?

View more questions Search