Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prasannanamuduri Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

May 25, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Elephant extinction
    What measures have been taken to preserve the african elephant population?
    prasannanamuduri Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

May 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Elephant extinction
    Why do some people want a ban on the sale of ivory while others oppose such a ban?
    u08dc4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

May 26, 2007, 02:30 AM
    The African elephant population isn't that threatened any more, I don't think. There were to many and they were having to cull them to keep the population down in protected areas. They have definitely set up nature reserves and banned hunting, the ban on ivory trade is because it sells for so much poorer people or greedy people go out and shoot the elephants unsustainably, that is one of the reason for the population decline in the first place. People want the ban lifted so they can make money from the sale of ivory again.
    Hope that helps
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 26, 2007, 05:46 AM
    This was just on an episode of "Nature" (PBS). I agree with what u08dc4 stated and would add that there are serious efforts being taken to keep the habitats for the elephants (and other wildlilfe) by blocking further land development for the growing populations and land speculators. I would have to say though, preventing poaching is the biggest effort made. There are projects underway to ease the poverty, make poaching less attractive, but ivory is a tempting source of money for many.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Extinction Pop [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody can tell me about the word "extinction pop: refer to

Remember afterschool special, prehistoric elephant [ 2 Answers ]

I can't explain it; it's just driving me insane that I can't remember. There was a TV show I believe was an after school special when I was growing in the late 80's or early 90's that had an elephant that I believe was prehistoric and possibly purple. I recall that he had a distinctly annoying...

Dream of Elephant in my Subaru [ 5 Answers ]

I need some good dream interpreters to try this one: Early this morning I was dreaming about a young elephant, my dog (walker hound/lab cross) and my son out riding in my Subaru stationwagon and stopping by a lake for a breather. The young elephant was in the back seat with my dog and I walked...

View more questions Search