Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimpoleshuk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Neither CDrom nor Floopy drive read media
    Both, get power and at least spin the disks

A known working floppy when inserted receives error message" disk not formatted"

When cds are used, the operating system temporarily locks up as the rom attempts to read the media. Eventually function returns but disk can not be opened or explored.

I tried a known working CD rom. No change

1.4ghz PC running XP,

Thanks for your help
    Jim
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

May 24, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Hmm, 1.4GHz cpu... PC is probably at least 6 years old? Has this computer ever been opened? Or upgraded?

In anycase, you'll need to open up the case, and check that cables are fully inserted.

While its opened, you should probably take a vacuum cleaner and some compressed air and clean out the dust.

I work with old pc's, and its always the cd-rom or floppy that dies first. So it may be finally time to replace them.
    jimpoleshuk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 03:18 PM
    In anycase, you'll need to open up the case, and check that cables are fully inserted.

I work with old pc's, and its always the cd-rom or floppy that dies first. So it may be finally time to replace them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response but if you read my initial question, I have tried a new CD rom with no effect.

The computer locks up temporarally when a disk is inserted, so that means there must be some kind of interaction between the drives and the motherboard.

Unless it the monther board, I don't think it's a hardware problem

I've also reinstalled the drivers for both the drives

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD drive won't read CDs. [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine all day today until I put in a newly burnt CD-R (burnt on another computer, by the way, this one is just a plain cdrom drive), a CD-R which seems to have been faulty (if that's possible). This CD had nothing but video files (no audio), but when I put it into the computer Windows...

What Media Program will read an ISO file straight from a PC [ 7 Answers ]

What I really need is a Media Player that will play a .ISO file (A DVD Movie) straight from my PC. I am going to IRAQ and want to take some movies with me over there. Vice taking the Hard DVD's. Anyone have any idea?

Disc Drives won't Read Media [ 1 Answers ]

I think my computer has caught some strange disease. It is extremely sluggish and I cannot log on to my DSL internet, even though two computers hooked up by USB wireless adapters in the next bed rooms have no problem accesing the net. Therefore, I decided to backup all my data files and start...

My CD Drive won't read CDs! [ 28 Answers ]

It just won't run any discs, It opens and closes, but refuses to read. I have had the problem for a while but It never really bothered me... Until I just tried to install Morrowind. Now it's personal, and needs to be fixed. My parents will not do anything about it because "it doesn't concern them,...

View more questions Search